Web of Science search works when your institute has a subscription to the Web of Science search web service interface (Web of Science SOAP API). The search works when you are physically using your institute's network, or access it via VPN. It doesn't work just with a proxy access if you are not accessing the institute's network.
In case you have trouble using the Web of Science search, check the following:
- you are within an institutional network, or
- you are accessing the institutional network via VPN connection
- your institute has a valid subscription to the Web of Science search web service interface (Web of Science SOAP API)
- you have selected 'Use Library Proxy' in the advanced search settings
- does your institute use custom WoS URLs that can be configured in the search settings
Web of Science API used in Papers doesn't allow searches to be refined by DOI (this is in contrast to their web page). This means that it is not possible to use Web of Science search plugin to match metadata by DOI.