Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Be available on the android market

ReadCube could be very useful on android tablets/mobile devices.

2,825 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    56 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Linux

Make a ReadCube client for Linux.

2,069 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export/Print PDFs with highlights/notes

Highlights and/or notes could be saved on the PDF with the option of printing with or without. I would also recommend the feature allow you to choose to print with highlights or notes separately.

1,933 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow users to create nested sublists

More like a folder tree than a tagging system because some users have distinct projects and subcategories within those projects.

1,385 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  31 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Manage my filesystem

Like iTunes, copy, rename, and sort all existing and newly imported PDF files into a folder system.

This would include a file renaming scheme so that PDFs aren't all named "fulltext1.pdf"

1,154 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello ReadCube users!

We’ve recently moved this feature into the “under review” category because we think a lot of this functionality already exists in ReadCube, and the remainder of it will come with our sync functionality this Fall.

You are currently able to right-click documents in your library and move them around as you see fit, and there is also a function when adding files/folders to your library to auto-sort articles into lists based on existing folder structures. You can find this option in the preferences menu.

If you do not think that this is enough file management, feel free to continue giving us feedback here, and by e-mailing us at support@readcube.com!

6. Cross-match lists of papers with other reference managers

Staging papers over and over again when trying a new reference manager is a real pain. It would be an advantage for ReadCube to allow its users to import the groups and lists they have already created to directly have their library organised.

898 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Include multiple highlight colors and styles

1) Instead of only yellow, more colors should be provided.
    2) Provide other highlight style, such as underline, box etc.

663 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add/create tags and labels to organize my articles

I would like to be able to create tags and labels for PDFs. This would allow me to associate specific keywords (like "monkey" or "protein") and then search for those keywords when looking in my library. Articles that had been tagged with those keywords would then show up.

605 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Mark article as read/unread

It would be nice to mark an article as unread, so as the library grows you can keep track of the articles to be read.

559 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make use of tablet functionality.

Many windows users have touchscreens and some of us have touch screens with Wacom pens. It would be great if read cube could integrate pen and Multitouch input like onenote does. pinch to zoom, finger scrolling, and have it know that when I use my finger it should scroll but when I use the pen it should highlight (or ink if the pen is selected (hint hint inking should be added as well)) These functionalities are already available in many programs and I am sure they could be easily adapted to work in read cube. This will make the program…

406 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Include drawing tools for annotations

If I could draw lines, circles, squares and so on in the paper to mark the important region of the figures or sentences, it would be very useful.

356 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow user-specified file naming conventions for downloaded PDFs

e.g. year_journal_firstauthor_lastauthor.pdf

324 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Share pdf files between users on the same network

This might be something like a virtual journal club where lab mates could drop particularly relevant articles into a shared folder, and perhaps even leave comments about them.

281 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. integrate eTOCs or RSS feeds

I'd love it if ReadCube could list newly released eTOC's for me, or provide a way that I could link from an eTOC directly into a ReadCube download. eTOCs (or journal online TOCs) are how I browse new literature, and it'd be really helpful it that were integrated.

266 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Have the option to delete the pdf file when I delete a paper from my library

ReadCube only deletes PDFs from your library, but the file remains on your computer. Having the option to delete both would be helpful when trying to clean up one's library.

227 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Put all graphs, tables and pictures of a PDF in the sidebar

It would be nice to have all graphs, figures, pictures, tables of the pdf you are reading by the sidebar, so whenever the text cites them you just click on them to expand. When you finish to see the figure you go back to the text. This way you avoid having to go back and forth all the time when reading a pdf.

185 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Associate a color with a list when viewing articles in my library

I want to assign a color code to my lists, and then view color tagged articles in my library. I should also be able to see if an article belongs to more than one list.

166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have a notes/comments only search

It would be great if readcube could let us search notes only rather than just our whole library. That way we could quickly find notes to follow up on specfic projects or ideas that occur to us while scanning the literature. Ideally we could click through from there to the section highlighted or noted in the original paper.

143 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ctrl-mousewheel to zoom

Many applications allow you to zoom in/out by holding down ctrl and mousewheel scrolling up/down.

129 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Include a built-in dictionary function

One function I am eager to use is "dictionary" support. It is very important for non-native English speaker like me. I usually use a software that has dictionary functions. in which I can use dictionary by simple double-clicking on the word I want to know the meaning.

122 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base