Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. support LibreOffice

support LibreOffice

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve scrolling keystrokes

Currently, I see 3 main methods of scrolling.
    1) Use the tiny scroll bar on the side.
    2) Use the down arrow to very slowly move up or down
    3) Use Fn+up/down arrow to move exactly one page down
    Also, I believe some touchpad smart gestures are included now, although I'm not familiar with them since I don't have a touchpad.

I find the first two options impractical when I just want to scroll a page or two down. The third option (Fn+up/down arrow) is close, but the problem is that it scrolls EXACTLY one page down. That means if…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable text-to-speech functionality

Have a text to speech option available. As a dyslexic, i find this incredibly useful.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. automatically move PDFs from the watched folder, and rename them

PDFs imported from watched folders currently stay in the watched folder, with their existing (often cryptic) filename.

These files can be moved to the main ReadCube folder, and be automatically renamed using the standard convention, but this has to be done manually inside ReadCube on the 'files' page.

It would be very useful if ReadCube could do this automatically. At the very least, it would be helpful if files in watched folders could be automatically renamed on import.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. allow users to increase font size of abstract in right hand panel

The abstract would be easier and quicker to read if the font size was a bit larger. Nice would be a control-up/down short cut. Esp. more senior people would probably apreciate this.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. support handwriting capability

The readers can sketch their thoughts, add annotations and make notes freely with their styluses, similar to apps such as Drawboard in Windows and Notability in iOS.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. highlight and add in-line notes to scanned articles.

Sometimes I only have access to a scanned PDF -- for example, one that was retrieved through interlibrary loan. For such PDFs, it would be nice to be able to add in-line notes and highlighting even if ReadCube is unable to recognize the text.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. allow Shibboleth login

Allow an oppourtunity to login via Shibboleth (or similar) to allow access to university papers whilst off campus. If you could login once Readcube was open then it could allow automatic downloads.
    Whilst you can do this through the Readcube browser which opens it is very laggy and time consuming.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. View annotations in article preview

Annotations (highlights, notes, etc) should show in the preview pane on the right when you select an aricle from your library.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. bring back the ability to switch between PubMed and Google Scholar in the same search

This went away in the latest update. It was quite useful, because if searching for full article title, it often varies whether PubMed or Google Scholar will find the correct article as the top hit.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. distinguish between primary literature and reviews in my library

It would be nice to be able to see at a quick glance what is a review and what is primary literature. I wouldn't mind whether this was automatic by readcube or whether I specified it once I had read the paper.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. allow articles to be sorted by number of citations

It is helpful when doing a literature review on a topic to be able to see publication date and number of times articles have been cited in a single glance. I need to know what papers are most important in a certain area, so I would like to be able to sort articles in a list in my library by number of times each paper has been cited.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ask to download articles via cloud during sync

Right now, the sync feature only downloads metadata but not the entire pdf files. Each article has to be downloaded separately. It would be cool if we could choose articles or lists or the entire library that we want to download automatically during sync.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. allow me to select text that runs over two pages in one pass - not in two steps.

Using my mac, if there is text that runs over two pages that I want to select and copy, I have to do this in two steps, - selecting the text on each page separately.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve performance of pdf reader

The performance of the pdf reader in readcube quite choppy when compared to other pdf readers especially when you are trying to resize your pdf and open multiple articles.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. correctly export bibtex files when searched with google scholar

bibtex export works fine for publications imported by pubmed search.
    when imported by google scholar search, the author field contains a number of 'null's. probably simple bug fix.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. auto-complete the hashtags

I would be cool if readcube can auto-complete the hashtags when I'm entering it, to make the process easier and avoid creating similar tags that means the same thing.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Develop ReadCube Chrome-App (or at least improve embedded browser)

I find that the embedded browser is sort of horrible. There are times when ReadCube calls the browser - for instance, when you must submit your institution login and password. The page that displays is slow and sluggish. Sometimes it is necessary to click a text box multiple times before the box takes focus. I've navigated to some addresses within this embedded browser and noticed that some hyperlinks would not be available to click. I can understand the need for secure credential submission, and so perhaps the need for an embedded browser, but this implementation is dreadfully inefficient.

Wherever possible,…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow manual data supplement file addition.

Data supplements are a common feature of many journal articles now a days. Currently, Readcube pulls these supplements, but rather very ineffectively. I understand that different journals have different file formats for supplements. This could be easily overcome by allowing manual addition of data supplement files to Readcube records. At the moment, I am having to go back to the browser to get all files in one place. This kind of negates the idea of using Readcube, let alone paying for Readcube Pro.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adding supplements of any file type are available in Web library (app.readcube.com) and PDF files can be added to desktop. We are working to update the desktop to support the range file types as the web in the coming months.

20. Roadmap

Please consider publishing a roadmap with upcoming features, like e.g. 'sync support in Q4 2013'.

Thanks!

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base