Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Store Favorite/Custom Searches

Search a pre-set list of journals (e.g. high-impact in medicine or chemical biology).

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Run desktop app without adobe air.

Desktop app should run without adobe air.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export comments to Evernote

It would be great if it was possible to export the notes and highlights to Evernote. The title of the note should be the reference and they can be stored in a Readcube notebook.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. allow copy and paste with correct formatting

I currently use Readcube and one thing that has been a small frustration is that I like to make notes separately (in google docs) but when I copy and paste information the formatting is off. Specifically, there are too many spaces between words so I have to manually delete them. Also, symbols, subscripts, superscripts don't paste correctly either. Not a huge deal but I noticed I don't have this problem in Mendeley and it just makes it less annoying.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. have a native 64-bit support to make full use of 4GB of RAM available in most laptops.

Most folks here are using laptops with at least 4GB of RAM available to them. Hope to see readcube comes up with a 64-bit version of the software to make full use of the hardware powers.

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. show the abstract of the articles on the right hand panel as I browse the list of "related articles"

abstracts preview on the right hand panel as i browse the list of related articles instead of having to dl the article first...thanks!

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support Patent Search

via Google Scholar, including patent citation data

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. List Management - I would like to reorder the list and create nested lists.

I would like to be able to reorder the lists of articles as well as created nested listed or a hierarchical list structure.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make the scroll bar slightly bigger and more visible

I often use the scroll bar to scan through or read a document and I find it hard to locate in readcube. It's very distracting to have to stop reading to get the mouse point exactly in the right position in order to do this.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow SmartCite to look up lists in ReadCube library

It will be great if I can look up the "lists/nested lists in the ReadCube library" when citing papers, so that I can easily find papers of interest.

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. automatically/periodically update a bibtex file exporting the entire library. Thus manual export after any change in library will be avoided

It would be cool if ReadCube could automatically/periodically update a bibtex file exporting the entire library. Thus manual export after any change in library/list can be avoided, and latex can read the updated bibtex file without requiring manual modification.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change the page background color.

Reading on bright white is difficult and very harmful to eyes. As word and adobe can work, if i change the background to some light green, it fells softer to stare at the screen for quite a while.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi ReadCube users!

We understand that this is a really important feature for a lot of you, as white backgrounds do strain your eyes and are difficult to look at after long periods of time. This is definitely something we want to work on at some point and implement as an actual feature.

For now, I recommend giving http://justgetflux.com/ a shot, as it is designed to reduce eyestrain for your entire monitor and should function as an appropriate substitute for the time being.

Thanks so much for your patience and feedback!

Alex

13. have searchable sidebar notes

Allow the option of searching within the side bar notes.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Link my articles, and the links could be seen in a graphical format like a MINDMAP

Every article we read has a specific relationship with other article i.e. cited by, cited in, disproved by, earlier work of same author, same work in other species o model system, etc. At present we can have a folder with many articles. And to though we can make notes with each article, we can not see all of them together,One needs to open each article abstract to see. IT could be really great if we can make our links between articles and view them in a graphical format, like a MIND MAP, i.e. A flowchart depicting all the work that…

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add tag when dragging/dropping articles on tag list of your choice

It will be convenient if tag will be automatically added to an article when you drag/drop an article to the specific tag on the list.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. add in pdf bookmarks

I commonly use Adobe Acrobat's bookmark feature to save location points in pdf documents, such as introduction, method, study 1, study 2 so i can quickly navigate the document.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. export comments in .doc

enable the export of the comments in word. For example if you review an article and annotate the text then it would be nice to merge directly all the comments into .doc file to upload for the editor and authors.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. support LibreOffice

support LibreOffice

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. allow me to copy all of my notes at once rather than one at a time.

Right now when I want to copy my notes that summarize an article, I have to select each note separately. Sometimes there are many notes within a single article and so this takes a lot of time. Right now I can't seem to "select all" in the notes pane, which would be a helpful feature.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature is now available in ReadCube’s web library (app.readcube.com0. You can sort and now download any notes you’ve made to your desktop. This will be available in the coming months via desktop apps as well.

20. bring back the ability to switch between PubMed and Google Scholar in the same search

This went away in the latest update. It was quite useful, because if searching for full article title, it often varies whether PubMed or Google Scholar will find the correct article as the top hit.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base