Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open multiple PDFs in different panes

I often cycle between many articles and have them open at the same time, side by side. I find the one window - toggling back and forth affects my flow when writing.

147 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Collect feedback for recommendations

There should be some sort of feedback mechanism for the recommendation portion, so that you can "like" or "dislike" articles depending on whether they fit in with what you would like to be recommended. I have a lot of files from different fields, so not all of them are things I'd like to be recommended.

142 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. have an "annotation report" feature like Qiqqa does.

You could select what references you'd like to pull comments from, and the annotations you've made would be pulled out and compiled into a report, complete with citation. Or even just pull out the citation and the "note" feature for each selected reference, so that it is possible to create an instant annotated bibliography. This should be exportable to Word or text file.

129 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Article Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide a way to update the paper with new pdf and final volume and page numbers

If a paper is added as it is published online ahead of print publication, then often the final manuscript or the uncorrected proof is included as the pdf file. It would be useful if there is a way to automatically update the paper with the final published pdf and volume/page numbers when this information become available.

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. perform OCR (optical character recognition) on imported PDFs

Some PDFs in my library are not text searchable. It would be great if Readcube recognized this and performed OCR analysis on the PDF to make it a text searchable document, or at least allow me to click a button and perform OCR.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Share papers/notes/comments with Readcube-using colleagues (Collaboration, i.e.)

It would greatly add to the functionality of Readcube if we could find a nice paper, and then share it with a colleague, share our notes on it, or specific comments, all through Readcube. I guess this would entail Readcube having to maintain a network of clients within itself: a colleague network, say. Complex, but innovative.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show What Lists a Paper Was Added To In Its My Library Description

Currently I do not see a way to find out what lists a Paper has already been posted to in ReadCube other than to click on the list and look to see what papers are there.

What I think would be helpful is to show the lists under the title in the My Library's pane. This would be something akin to how GMail shows you the Labels that you have assigned an email to.

I am thinking that this information must already be in your database, and you would only need to write it to the display.

Anything that isn't…

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Let me view a PDF without adding it to the library

I often want to read the PDF of a paper before deciding whether or not to download it. I would love an option to view (ie. cache) the PDF without downloading it. Then if I decide I want to keep it, I can click a button to add it to my library.

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. enable author lists, so we can favorite authors and be notified when new articles by those authors are published

Just like google scholar does author alerts and citation alerts, such a feature would be great in readcube if I could favorite some authors and then whenever they are cited, or they publish some new work, readcube would send me an alert or give me an option to automatically add it to a particular list.

114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Export to Endnote from within PDF view

It would be helpful if there was a really easy way to be export to ENDNOTE while reading the paper in readcube, not just from the list view.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Run desktop app without adobe air.

Desktop app should run without adobe air.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allowed re-ordering of list

I have around 20 lists and it could be great to be able to reorder them alphabetically or whatever I like. It looks like I can't change the order and last created list is at the bottom even if it would be easier to be close to another list.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. expose its API to let users create plugins or simply automatise their database management

There will always be functions that users would like to have that are not present in ReadCube (at a given point in time). If ReadCube could expose some kind of API to let their users interface with it from programming languages - it would spark whole ecosystem of plugins and extenstions.
    An inspiring example is SublimeText - proprietary software that exposes an API for python. SublimeText has now more than 2500 plugins extending its functionality. Many of these extensions are wonderful tools!

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. show the lists (labels) where an article belongs to.

When showing the paper information, it would be useful to see if it has been assigned to a list.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Can I get Impact Factor of the journal when i read the detail of a paper?

Can I get Impact Factor of the journal when i read the detail of a paper?

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Have an email feature

Have an email feature to send PDFs in emails through outlook,gmail,yahoo,etc...

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Be available on Chrome OS for those who use Google Chromebook computers

Mac and Windows are great but Chrome is quickly becoming the #3 major operating system, especially with the increasing popularity of Chromebook computers. It would be great to have ReadCube available there as well.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Export comments to Evernote

It would be great if it was possible to export the notes and highlights to Evernote. The title of the note should be the reference and they can be stored in a Readcube notebook.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Rename the articles in a predefined form which is decided by user

While downloading give an option to rename the file. Many literature database offer this feature. There are some standard formats: Different combinations of <Title><Journal><Author><Year><issue> etc. can be used to rename an article.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base