Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Prevent articles from being accidentally added twice, warn you if it is happening, or find a way to quickly resolve that issue.

When you add an article, sometimes it can get accidentally added twice. Then you might have it in the library twice, with different versions, different annotations, and in different folders (potentially)

400 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the rendering of the PDF viewer

At least in OSX, the quality of the PDF rendering is not as good as some other PDF viewers. I have observed this in a few of computers. This leads me to read the PDF in other programs and use readcube only to search/categorize the files. If would be great if you could improve the rendering of the PDF viewer, so that I would not need to leave the program to read the articles.

372 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. allow smart lists

I think having smart lists would be a big benefit of having this program. For example, if I have a smart list that links all papers that have XPS in the title, or an authors name would help in organizing my files.

329 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add offline mode

ReadCube needs an offline mode for when an internet connection is unavailable (it happens) or if a user just wants to use it offline. This is a vital feature for students and researchers alike.

308 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. have a "two-page" view option, as many modern screens are quite wide and could accommodate this

have a "two-page" view option, as many modern screens are quite wide and could accommodate this, and it would be much better for reading papers directly on the monitor

294 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. support SmartCite on the Scrivener word processor

Scrivener is a great word processor for long documents such as doctoral thesis, SmartCite would enable to use it seamlessly along with ReadCube

284 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support SmartCite in google docs

I do a lot of collaborative writing and we frequently use google docs. There is currently no good way to input the citations from readcube into google docs. It would be amazing if SmartCite working in the google docs application.

280 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support high DPI monitors (correctly scale when using DPI scaling on Win 7 and Win 8)

On very high resolution / retina monitors, Readcube currently does not scale properly with the DPI scaling of the OS (Readcube either ignores the DPI scaling and stays impossibly small to use, or scales as a blurred inflated bitmap image).
    Properly supporting DPI scaling in Win 7 and Win 8 for high DPI monitors will improve usability and reading experience.

261 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. have an "undo" feature.

For example, I just accidentally deleted a note I wrote. I tried pressing
    command Z, and it did nothing. This made me sad.

237 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Have shortcut keys for common actions in the ReadCube reader

Add keystrokes to:
    -delete a file from a list
    -delete a file from the library
    -auto-resolve a file
    -navigate from file to file without going back to the library
    -add a note
    -switch to highlighter

230 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 215 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 199 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Modify inline references / citation to add or remove data

Include the ability to add or remove information from inline citations / references which are required in many citation styles eg Harvard such as;

- Add page numbers eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (Smith, 2010, p. 103)
    - Remove Author eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (2010)
    - Add text eg: (Smith, 2010) to (Fred, 2010 as cited in Smith, 2010)

These features are available in other reference managers such as; Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote.... Please don't force me to use one of these!!! Until this feature is working I cannot move to Readcube.

Scott

186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  7 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. remember my position

When switching between Full Text and Supplementary Information my position is lost, I'm just sent to the start of the document. This is a bit frustrating when reading an article that refers regularly to a supplementary document.

182 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. have a split view in the PDF browser so that you can see two parts of the document at the same time.

Provide a mechanism so that you can view two or more parts of a PDF document at the same time. For example, it is common to want to see a figure on a different page while reading text.

169 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. be portable

i.e. be able to run from a microSD card or from a USB flash drive, without requiring installation on a local machine. Not all researchers can lug around a laptop, but almost everyone carries a phone.

168 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 163 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Recieve weekly PubMed search outcomes

I recieve weekly e-mail from pubmed containing the results of preset searches (all based on keywords). It would be cool if one could do similar Pubmed searches directly in Readcube.

162 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Change highlight colors without deleting them first

Sometimes I highlight a part with yellow, and later find it more important, and recolor it with red. In such cases, I wish I can change the color without deleting the highlight first, as I can with any major PDF viewers including Preview or Acrobat.

156 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. give me a way to highlight recommendations as unsuitable

I am getting recommendations related to fields other than my own. It would be useful to be able to mark these recommendations as unsuitable so that they do not keep coming!

152 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a really great ideal! Thanks for the feedback! Would you also be interested in a feature like “Do not show articles like these again.” that would hopefully stop showing you articles of a certain type?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base