It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Modify inline references / citation to add or remove data

Include the ability to add or remove information from inline citations / references which are required in many citation styles eg Harvard such as;

- Add page numbers eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (Smith, 2010, p. 103)
- Remove Author eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (2010)
- Add text eg: (Smith, 2010) to (Fred, 2010 as cited in Smith, 2010)

These features are available in other reference managers such as; Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote.... Please don't force me to use one of these!!! Until this feature is working I cannot move to Readcube.

Scott

201 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Scott WagstaffScott Wagstaff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Maggie Billard CosgraveAdminMaggie Billard Cosgrave (Admin, ReadCube) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,

For updating reference metadata itself, you can right click on a reference and selecting "Edit Reference". You will need to be sure you select "Save" at bottom to update the information.

In the case of SmartCite, you can edit the CSL style using a third-party editor. We have a support article explaining how you can do that. We do have it on the roadmap for the next version of SmartCite to include an embedded editor.

http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/505345-how-do-i-find-and-or-edit-csl-citation-styles

- ReadCube

• Jason RitchieJason Ritchie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do you refuse to post my comment? Alex's response does not answer the suggestion. As far as I can tell, it is not possible to insert page numbers into in-text (parenthetical) citations. Is this true, or is there some way to do it?

• Maggie Billard CosgraveAdminMaggie Billard Cosgrave (Admin, ReadCube) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI All,

For updating reference metadata itself, you can right click on a reference and selecting "Edit Reference". You will need to be sure you select "Save" at bottom to update the information.

In the case of SmartCite, you can edit the CSL style using a third-party editor. We have a support article explaining how you can do that. We do have it on the roadmap for the next version of SmartCite to include an embedded editor.

http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/505345-how-do-i-find-and-or-edit-csl-citation-styles

- ReadCube

• Michael OrrMichael Orr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just chose ReadCube over EndNote after reviewing both together (using for research papers). I use APA 6th Edition and am unable to find an easy way to add page numbers after quoted text with inline citations. When I manually add them, they are erased as soon as I update the bibliography.

I love the user interface of ReadCube, but I can't understand why this feature was not included with an earlier version. If I could use every single one of my 1000 votes for this one feature, I would gladly do it. Please add this very common feature to ReadCube.

• Mariana Moura RamosMariana Moura Ramos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me this is one of the most important features, I'm using endnote and I would love moving to Readcube but I can only do this when these functions are included!

• Chris RiedyChris Riedy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this one. ReadCube looks great, and I'd like to make the switch from Mendeley, but if I can't add in page numbers to a citation and make other changes to fit my writing style then it's just not ready for prime time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base