It would be cool if ReadCube could...

More robust note-taking functionality

Make notes hyperlinked, so that by clicking note in the sidebar would automatically show that part in the text. Also - notes should be sorted by date or placement in article (by default the latter). It would be nice that by pointing a highlighted part or note, the note would pop up.

587 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tanja PyhäjärviTanja Pyhäjärvi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tobias WeberTobias Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, Please, Please, all the things (Notes are linked to the pdf-text, sorted by page, searching in notes, etc.) are so important, if you want to use the app for working out scientific papers. I'm really looking for a referent management app like readcube but without this functions, I'm not sure, if i can use it. Can you tell us, when it will be integrated?

• Charles FournierCharles Fournier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical functionality of any QDA app for serious research (Nvivo, etc.).

A note should be treated as any other object in the database -- one should be possible to tag it, search it, etc. A note is just an object that can be cross-referred to another one with a page reference and a place marker.

Note are treated as an afterthought or add-on instead of being an integral part of the application. In research, contextualization is everything. We should be able to add to the side-bar and link any object (drag and drop to the location in the pdf file where we want to attach the reference).

In fact all object should allow linking. One should be able to link a section of a paper to another paper with a comment. The link should also be searchable by type (refute, support, etc).

This is also a standard feature of professional CRM apps (Salesforce, etc.).

• EE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very very important. Is this functionality almost ready?, it's almost a year since you said "This functionality is in the development queue and will be released in an upcoming desktop update".

• neil fisherneil fisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, it would be great if we could edit the notes generated by highlighting text (which as mentioned in the initial suggestion, would be better if they were sorted by placement in the article.
    Cheers!!

• Fasahath HusainFasahath Husain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Alex, any timeline when this will happen? I use readcube 30% of the time for my work. But for this function I will go 80%.

• Rachel MurrayRachel Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the "notes" side bar, it would be useful to see the notes in the order that they appear in the PDF - so that when I read a scientific article, all of the notes I took on the "Introduction" are near the top, all of the notes on "Methods" are near each other, all of the notes on "Results" are near each other etc.

This is particularly useful for long PDF's (like whole books or book sections) where I don't want to scroll through the whole PDF just to see which notes are where.

I tried to figure out how to do this with the app, but it doesn't look like the function is available.

• Lauren FosterLauren Foster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The #1 feature I think is needed after using ReadCube for graduate work and research for 3 months

• BunchOfSageBunchOfSage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, part of your suggestion was also files here before: http://support.readcube.com/forums/136555-feature-requests/suggestions/6019254-jump-to-highlighted-text-when-clicking-on-a-note (It already had more votes, that's why I up-voted that one)

But your second point (sorting notes by page and not date added) is totally valid and should be default (but changeable as it is done in Adobe Acrobat)

Feedback and Knowledge Base