It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Improve the rendering of the PDF viewer

At least in OSX, the quality of the PDF rendering is not as good as some other PDF viewers. I have observed this in a few of computers. This leads me to read the PDF in other programs and use readcube only to search/categorize the files. If would be great if you could improve the rendering of the PDF viewer, so that I would not need to leave the program to read the articles.

377 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rodrigo VerschaeRodrigo Verschae shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sven StadtmannSven Stadtmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From my experience, the rendering of the ReadCube pdf viewer in OSX 10.11.3 is far superior than any other pdf viewer that I have used, which are Acrobat, the Pages built-in viewer and OSX Preview.

• L. SunL. Sun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*bump* I feel that highlighting and scrolling an 'enhanced' pdf in readcube in MacOSX (El Capitan/Yosemite) is so slow and stuttery, I'd rather do it using preview, however I lose the highlight and notes if I do this, so it's less than ideal. Please fix the rendering issue, I was about to open a subscription using my university grant with this program and refer it to my colleagues but I think I'll hold off. Thanks.

• Richard HalliwellRichard Halliwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PDF rendering is very grainy under Mac OS X Yosemite. So much so that I have stopped using Readcube until it's fixed.

• Robert BradleyRobert Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't seem to have this problem in Mavericks on a 2012 rMBP.The PDFs look the same as they do in Preview. Though the scrolling is generally fine it can be an issue if ReadCube is busy doing something else at the same time.

• Benjamin BoyerinasBenjamin Boyerinas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, side by side comparisons suggest that Preview provides more legible rendering of PDFs in OSX. Many times, the ReadCube rendering looks grainy and somewhat low res.

• Tyler FunnellTyler Funnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Font rendering is much worse in ReadCube than either Preview or Adobe Acrobat Pro. I'm on Mavericks as well. I don't think this issue is about the speed of rendering.

• ACAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hm, I have OSX Mavericks and my readcube PDF rendering is gorgeous. Scrolling is so smooth and it doesn't lag over highlights/notes for me. Although sometimes it's slow to load when scrolling after you've searched for specific words, when it does load it looks great on my machine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base