It would be cool if ReadCube could...

have a "back" button in the reader, so when I click on an inline citation to look up the reference, I can easily return to the main text

434 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
jan schnuppjan schnupp shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  Maggie Billard CosgraveAdminMaggie Billard Cosgrave (Admin, ReadCube) responded  · 

Hi ReadCube users!

We definitely agree that there should be an easy way for our users to return back to whatever they were looking at before they clicked on a link (for example, back to your search after clicking on an article, or back to the article you were reading after clicking a reference). We think that the left-side bar allows for this with its “recently viewed” and “recent searches” sections and fills this need. For now, we think that an additional back button would be unnecessary.

If you disagree, feel free to let us know at support@readcube.com.

Best,

Alex

14 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter OlmstedPeter Olmsted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Alex,

I can't even see a sidebar....I've just started using ReadCube and don't see how to get out of reading a pdf file, which fills up my whole ReadCube window.

How do I get back to the library itself?

I agree with everyone else: not having a "back" button is a serious mistake in user design. ReadCube programmer are dead wrong that a back button would be superfluous. I agree that it's trickier to code (but not much trickier). Do it please!

- Peter

• Noah PettitNoah Pettit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that a back button is needed. Or, if you don't want to take up space in the UI with a back button, at least give us a keyboard shortcut with back button functionality!

• Darci PauserDarci Pauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A back button really would not take much space. Also, the recently read list places files that are importing on the top, always (even though they are not the most recently read). It's wonky.

• Didier AllexandreDidier Allexandre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry Alex, but I don't find recently viewed/recent searches replace a back button. A BACK BUTTON is absolutely needed!

• Gökhan TolunGökhan Tolun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ReadCube is used for browsing articles, right? In other words, ReadCube IS a browser, isn't it?
    Now, think of a browser with no back button! It does sound unreasonable, may be even ridiculous, doesn't it? Need I say more?

• Gaby ClarkeGaby Clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE give us a back button! I usually have 30 or more papers open on my side bar so finding the one I was just looking at is not easy! A back button would be so simple.

• Avi ZakutoAvi Zakuto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

back button is one of the most important feature in all software systems. I don't like every time go back this list view.
    Still there is a big missing part in this user friendly designed readcube.

• Naa-Dei NikoiNaa-Dei Nikoi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having used Readcube for a while, I have to say that no, the left hand bar just doesn't do it. Reason being, you have the real estate eaten first by the searches and folders, then by other open articles and just going back to where you were is a case of scrolling down, picking what you were working on and then clicking on it. Open articles are listed in the last opened order which means that your current one could be anywhere. It's actually quite annoying, moreso if you have several articles on the go.

• Tobias WenzelTobias Wenzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The back button is the improvement that would make the biggest positive difference for my user experience at the moment. PLEASE IMPLEMENT. I agree with all the comments above.

• Grant HerrmanGrant Herrman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disagree with the decline. There needs to be a better way to navigate within readcube and I think a back button or something similar would help.

• Tony CijsouwTony Cijsouw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't agree, with a web browser as analogy, just imagine you need to use a browsers history to go back one or two pages. It's do-able but just extra annoying steps that make it less user friendly. Especially cause people are accustomed to a back button from web browsers, Readcube users will miss that functionality and it will affect their experience (I know it does for me).

• Yueqi WangYueqi Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with your decline. A back button is a feature for all file systems and web browsers. The "recently viewed" list is not good enough for this.

First, the most recently viewed article is, in fact, not always at the top of the "recently viewed" list. This needs to be fixed, otherwise it is not easy to find the article you were reading.

Second, to go back to the article you were reading, you need to click once at the "recently viewed" button, and then double-click on the article. So you need three clicks. And because Readcube is often slow, these three clicks might take several second before you can read the article.

Third, in terms of user experience, people really don't want to be disrupted while reading a paper. A back button might seem trivial to you, but it affects how people feel while using your product. Although the right-side bar is convenient, going back forth between the main article and references could be annoying sometimes. So a back button would improve your user experience.

• Kenneth Kragh JensenKenneth Kragh Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest a back button for all instances. Also for instance when you ***** up and open the wrong pdf in your serach list, you can hit back and can easily and intuitively go back to previous search view. Or between different pdfs so that if I read pdf 1 and then go and read pdf 2 from there (e.g. through a reference link), I can hit back and go back to pdf 1.

Feedback and Knowledge Base