It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Have a notes/comments only search

It would be great if readcube could let us search notes only rather than just our whole library. That way we could quickly find notes to follow up on specfic projects or ideas that occur to us while scanning the literature. Ideally we could click through from there to the section highlighted or noted in the original paper.

544 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jessica TytellJessica Tytell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Charles FournierCharles Fournier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notes are an integral part of a research repository. Research is about context. One should be able to look at the library from a reference point, or from a contextualized perspective -- i.e. all references linked to a note tagged to a specific keyword.

• Mark R. PetersenMark R. Petersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to search notes only is critical to my work. I have just started using readCube and love it, but this is a bit of a show stopper. This was first posted in 2012. Is there a way to do this now in the 'search my library' field? Perhaps something like:
    notes: 'search this'

• Thea TilleyThea Tilley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

definitely a very essential feature...could lead to a kind of mind map of papers that link different topics that the reader identifies (user defined keyword based maps..eg metabolism project, high through put assay development or even just 'lab tips'

• Emelyn EricksonEmelyn Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% up-voted. Also, options organizing the notes/highlighted sections within a project folder, such as by highlighted color

• Scott RobinsonScott Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A side note but I'm really surprised that you can't use your list highlighted quotes as hyperlinks to the actual page in the PDF add not being able to search notes and i wonder how useful this is as a reference tool.

• Brian ChondoBrian Chondo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought readcube already had this function. I now have to trawl all my 40+ papers to find my notes for my discussion!

• NeurologistNeurologist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very useful to have this feature where in you can just search for the comments and the notes so that you can pull those papers that you know you already and read and curated. It would save alot of time and effort.

• SabrinaSabrina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please approve. A successfull literature manager system needs a solid note system, otherwise it is useless and I could go back to my folders of printed articles and my colourfull post-it notes. I absolutely adore the note and coment system as it is (it let me came to use readcube) but it still misses a lot of features like printing, searching, and sharing them with colleges. If you like to bind your costumer long term, I personally consider these function a very potential.

• wouter bossuytwouter bossuyt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would majorly improve ReadCube. You can mark a methods as "interesting tool" and then later search for tools to use. Or find back that killer idea that you forgot...

• jianlongjianlong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, absolutely a great idea! I had the same thought as it is always easy to search for notes or important ideas you get from the paper than other stuff.

• jianlongjianlong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I agree. I often remember those notes but forgot the title and authors. Enable the notes only search will be really helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base