It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Include a built-in dictionary function

One function I am eager to use is "dictionary" support. It is very important for non-native English speaker like me. I usually use a software that has dictionary functions. in which I can use dictionary by simple double-clicking on the word I want to know the meaning.

592 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Daishi FujitaDaishi Fujita shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  · 

9 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yuzhong MengYuzhong Meng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To second the comments of Xia Lei and Mai Sun, Readcube needs to enable the built-in dictionary in Mac OS X.

In the Mac Preview app, force-clicking (or three-finger tapping on older Macbooks) launches a dictionary pop out, but it doesn't work in Readcube! Please fix it!

• irakliirakli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why other systems/software providers don't use built-in dictionaries is my ultimate question for a long time after using kindle and iPad, both of which have Oxford dictionary of English. This is a bare necessity for the readers.

• Xia LeiXia Lei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to use 'youdao' dictionary. It works good on web-page, word, PDF. I can just put my pointer on the word and comes out the tranlation. But I can't use it in readcube.
    Also, I can't use the pressure point function for Mac. It used to show the built-in dictionary when I press the pad firmly.
    I really love readcube, but this limitation is really incovinience. I have to desrupt my reading, copy the word, paste in other software and understand the meaning.

• Matthew ThompsonMatthew Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a big fan of the way Mendeley accomplishes this using Wikipedia search results to provide a brief explanation of a word or phrase once it is highlighted. However, it doesn't function as a standard dictionary offering the simple definition of an English word. It would be wonderful to make use of both a standard dictionary tool as well as the Wikipedia-based tool.

• Joakim PålssonJoakim Pålsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like this idea. I think it wolf be good if it was possible to have different preferences for the dictionary depending on your field of study, like biology, engendering, social science etc., as they may have slightly different definition on the same word.

• Mai SunMai Sun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or make it possible to use the build-in dictionary at least under Mac OS X.

• Julian RatcliffeJulian Ratcliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even for native english speakers, the addition of a simple dictionary would make it much easier when investigating new topics and branching out

Feedback and Knowledge Base