It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Sync libraries (articles, notes, lists, and highlights) across multiple computers/devices

Right now, it is very difficult to synchronize libraries across computers because of how ReadCube stores data. A synchronized feature (similar to dropbox or amazon's cloud) would be incredibly helpful.

6,278 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
celery krabulacelery krabula shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  ReadCube SupportReadCube Support responded  · 

With the release of ReadCube Pro, we are very happy to announce that our Cloud Sync feature is now available! Our Cloud Sync feature is available in your preferences menu on your desktop client under the “ReadCube Pro” tab. As long as you have an active subscription to ReadCube Pro, your desktop client will automatically sync any changes you make to your library up to our server. Whenever you log in to a new machine that doesn’t have your full library, all new changes will be downloaded immediately (as long as you have an active internet connection). For more information about this, please see our support article about Cloud Sync at: http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/278198-cloud-sync-faq

99 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HyungChul RahHyungChul Rah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree with after my PC was formatted.
    This post gives me a bit relief as well as disappointment since this function has not been addressed yet. I am looking for some suggestion to restore my library.

• Martin V.Martin V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was using Vladimir's workaround and spent all yesterday doing research, downloading papers and highlighting/taking notes. When I shut readcube down and restarted it I lost all of the papers and notes because readcube was still open on another computer.

I don't know if shutting down readcube on each computer after use would allow them to properly 'sync'. Hopefully the near-ish future is nearer-ish.

• Geoff BartonGeoff Barton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great that cloud-sync is in the works, but I would like to be able to choose where I store readcube data and not be forced only to use a cloud solution provided by you.

• Lucas SchlagerAdminLucas Schlager (Admin, ReadCube) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Just dropping in to say wow! We're so pleased that our users are such an industrious bunch.

I must, however, echo what Vladimir began with, and make it clear that we assume no responsibility for any loss of data you experience by following this procedure. Again, if you try this, it is firmly at your own risk.

Work on our official cloud-sync service is well underway, so keep an eye out for updates in the near-ish future!

Best,

Lucas
    Community Manager

• Vladimir GorshkovVladimir Gorshkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello everybody,

since the method by David Nagy (see lower his message) allows syncronization only PDFs, without any notes, marks, comments and so, I have to improve it and want to share it with you.

Here is some kind of disclaimer: I can't be responsible for any loss of your data. You should care about reserve copies of it.
    The idea is pretty the same.
    1. Make directory symlink for PDF strorage folder (ReadCube Media located in Documents folder of your user), like in David's recipe. You need administrator rights to make symlinks.
    1.1. BTW mklink is only avaliable on Vista and 7, on XP you can use junction (download from microsoft site) instead, or try any of other methods to make symlinks.

2. You should find com.readcube.Desktop folder (the place where ReadCube seems to store all user data), on Windows 7 it is somewhere in /Users/(your username)/AppData/Local folder (or you can search for it using search function), on Vista should be in the same location, on XP it is in /Documents and Settings/(username)/Application Data/. Sorry, I have no Mac to check.

3. Move this folder to your Dropbox folder and make the directory symlink to its old location. It's similar to the previous symlik, but changing the paths. (ex. in W7 mklink /d "C:\Users\(somename)\AppData\Local\com.readcube.Desktop" "C:\Users\(somename)\Documents\Dropbox\com.readcube.Desktop")

4. If your "ReadCube Media" folder is located in the same place on all computers you want to syncronize your data you're fine. If not you have to do next step.

5. Let's assume that on one PC "ReadCube Media" folder is in "C:\Users\harry\Documents\ReadCube Media" and on the other in "C:\Users\goudinni\Documents\ReadCube Media", than you have to make symlink "C:\Users\goudinni\Documents\ReadCube Media" pointing to "C:\Users\harry\Documents\ReadCube Media" on the first one, and vice versa on the second. The idea is to make you real articles accessible by both paths, since Readcube seems to store full path of article in its database.
    5.1. This trick is useless to throw a ladder between Mac and PC dimensions, since there is no C:-something on Mac. But you can symlink com.readcube.Desktop on Mac to and it should allow syncing your notes, but you have to download all PDFs once again and completely lose any marks and notes in text. Mac-Mac and PC-PC sync should work fine.

Final notes
    Most probably you can't run ReadCube on both computers at once, there will be conflict of versions in Dropbox and it might result in some problems with you user data.
    The recipe is do a bit weird, but it works. It is much better (if you can), to make "ReadCube Media" folder in the same location on all PCs. With the trick I explained earlier there will be different pathes for articles in your Readcube database, that might bring you some problems in future. If the ReadCube team will allow users to change default location of store folder and parametrs folder in future version the problem might be solved.

Hope that my comment doesn't violate any rules and it will be accepted by admins. Maybe we'll see the "officail" sync soon.

• Matt WortmanMatt Wortman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

supporting dropbox would be great but also support for shared libraries (i.e. lab library and a personal library) would be great with maybe some type of wiki or collaborative function so groups of users could discuss manuscripts and share files. So far it way easier than using Acrobat collections and markup. Also, maybe some way of connecting with GoodReader...
    Love it, thanks!

• David NagyDavid Nagy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, this is how I did it between a macbook (Lion) and a windows 7 pc:

1. You need Dropbox installed on both computers (or any syncing service) You can sign up with my referral link: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQxNTIwMDk

2. Make a backup of your "Documents/ReadCube Media" folder on both of your computers and delete the original. By default its under "C:\Users\david\Documents\ReadCube Media" in windows and "/Users/davidnagy/Dropbox/ReadCube Media/" in OS X, where you should substitute david with your username.

3. Create a "ReadCube Media" folder in your Dropbox folder.

4. On the windows pc open a cmd window as an administrator and write (again with the appropriate substitutions in the paths):
    mklink /D "C:\Users\david\Documents\ReadCube Media" "C:\Users\david\Dropbox\ReadCube Media"

5. On the mac open a terminal window as an administrator and write:
    ln -s "/Users/davidnagy/Dropbox/ReadCube Media/" "/Users/davidnagy/Documents/ReadCube Media"
    (here according to the ln manual the order of the paths should be changed but this is how it worked for me)

6. Copy the contents of your two ReadCube Media folders to the one in the dropbox folder.

7. This is how your directories should look if everything is alright:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/415200/winsymlink.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/415200/macsymlink.png

8. Now if you download an article through ReadCube, it will be available on both computers, although unfortunately you will have to import the dropox folder each time you downloaded a new article on your other computer, just like when you add a pdf that you didn't download through Readcube. This is because readcube doesn't scan the folder automatically which is the 3rd top feature request.

• TomAL10TomAL10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi all. Could someone explain step-by-step how to setup the symlinks with Dropbox? I have tried but I haven't got it to work yet. I am running Snow Leopard on a MacBook as my home computer and Windows XP on a PC in the lab. Any pointers would be much appreciated! Thanks!

• Riccardo PinciroliRiccardo Pinciroli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really really looking forward to this feature to be available on my ReadCube ASAP. That would make it awesome. Please do it!

• Kashif KhanKashif Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea David. However this syncs the ReadCube Media folder but does not sync the library. I need to import new files manually. Any suggestion pls?

• Ronald SchilderinkRonald Schilderink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea David and Lupa,
    I cannot find it in the support section, so can anyone please explain in more detail how to synchronize the library between computers using Dropbox? And what folder of Readcube is this, or do you need to install Readcube in one of your Dropbox folder?

• CorinneCorinne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David's idea sounds doable, but any lay person instructions? Even being able to see the titles that are on my other computer would be a huge help...I don't mind re-downloading them, it's just being able to recall the info to find them again.

• joao.readcubejoao.readcube commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be really great. Not just if we upgrade, but if the computer dies, it would avoid wasting all those hours customizing our library.
    I mean, even if we have the files backed up, it's not the same than having all the manually input data and notes.
    But maybe this would not be necessary, if the libraries synching is adequately implemented http://support.readcube.com/forums/136555-feature-requests/suggestions/2364677-sync-libraries-articles-notes-lists-and-highli

• lupa.avenslupa.avens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David's idea is totally workable and not very difficult. But please let us know that a sync feature is in the works. That was a huge issue for Zotero, right? And it now has sync. I assume it must be technologically difficult (notice I'm not volunteering), but it's kind of what people expect now, so...? And, in the meanwhile, somehow sharing with new users some simple instructions on how to set up the dropbox option (or even knowing about it without prowling the forum) would be a nice idea, I think.

• David NagyDavid Nagy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have achieved this by creating a symlink pointing from the readcube media folder to dropbox, so now all the articles are automatically synchronized between my computers

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base