It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Include drawing tools for annotations

If I could draw lines, circles, squares and so on in the paper to mark the important region of the figures or sentences, it would be very useful.

1,114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Yo ShinodaYo Shinoda shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ArielleArielle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would this include the ability to annotate scanned pdfs by drawing. This is a much needed feature.

• Christa Kimloi GomezChrista Kimloi Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a tentative time-line for this feature? I see that the "Planned (long-term)" descriptor was added in 2013.

I would prefer a freehand feature, rather than separate tools for different shapes. This would be extremely useful especially on tablets.

• Edwin MachariaEdwin Macharia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These feature was requested in 2011...four years later and we still dont have it??Am very dissapointed.

• vaibhav bhatiavaibhav bhatia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMportant to be able to make hand written or hand drawn notes/mind maps. Like by Using Bamboo etc for desktop.

• Brian J. SatolaBrian J. Satola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE!! Other options such as Qiqqa and Colwiz alows you to write handwritten notes onto the article (this is a MUST for me). I need to be able to annotate the document with a peninput (like I would reading a printed out document)... Any feedback on when this feature can be expected???

• Joel ÖstblomJoel Östblom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart from its obvious usefulness, given the increasing number of active stylus enabled windows tablets, this would be a really compelling feature to include. Ideally, handwritten notes would be searchable.

• Philipp RommelPhilipp Rommel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In this context it would be amazing to support the new native features of Windows 8, like pressure-sensitive drawings! Please work on this in future updates!

• Ben MurdinBen Murdin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really nice if these kinds of shapes could open up an annotation, because many pdfs, especially old literature, are scanned and you can't select text so there seems to be no way to annotate them. With a circle or square plus annotation you could also highlight and annotate parts of figures.

• Maciej JończykMaciej Jończyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be particularly useful for annotating "picture-pdf", i.e. made from scans so you can't select text.
    It'd be also useful for graph annotations.

• Yang GengYang Geng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to have this feature! I still have to print most of papers for reading only because that I need to mark details of the figures to help me remember and understand deeply.

• Christopher SzerenosChristopher Szerenos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PDF shape API. Some stuff in pdf you can't highlight or you can but it looks like a mess - equations usually highlight awfuly. But you can make an oval/rectangle/whatever vector shape around it - and the shape can have a comment attached same way as a highlight can. Love it. It's a lifesaver feature of pdfs.
    Keep in mind - make it colorful. Accumulation of yellow shapes in a particular region of text will be unclear and it will diminish visibility.

• thiago rangel pintothiago rangel pinto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree! i'm a very visual person. to be able to include shapes, lines and other marks would be very good for quickly scanning papers that i've already read. If that's too much to ask, at least give us different colors to choose from when highlighting the text. :)
    thanks.

• Rita ParaiRita Parai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Different colors and patterns would be extra awesome. I've dreamt of a pdf annotation system that would allow me to recreate my classnotes, and while it seems unlikely that you'll manage to simulate a rainbow set of sparkly and/or metallic gel pens, different colors would be a nice addition.

Feedback and Knowledge Base