It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Support Linux

Make a ReadCube client for Linux.

3,326 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nate BernhardNate Bernhard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Richard TyrerJames Richard Tyrer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing is that they are already supporting UNIX (Darwin) because they offer it for Mac OS/X. I would guess that the Mac version uses the Safari browser. But, perhaps it will use any standard browser, or are they using their own browser? If they have written their own browser based on the WebKit for the Mac OS this should be simple to port to another version of *NIX by using the GTK or Qt version of the WebKit. There is no Carbon for X11 toolkit so any code that they have written for Carbon will have to be ported to a toolkit that runs on the other *NIX (BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc.).

However, I see potential issues. The M$-Windows will not run on Wine. This often happens when a program is using some trick in the OS to prevent copying of data. *NIXes lack these things. Only encryption of a file where the clear text and the key are never stored on the disk will do this on *NIX, AFAIK. Much simpler and more foolproof than M$-Windows tricks.

• Jesus Valdes-MartinezJesus Valdes-Martinez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many of us work with linux! We need a Linux version. If you think only freaks use Linus, we researchers are freaks, so we need a Linux version :-)

• Morteza ShahpariMorteza Shahpari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless a linux version is available, upgrading to ReadCube Pro is off the table. :(
    I tried wine, does not work :(

• SaeedSaeed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux is using by researchers quite widely and I believe it's a critical step for spreading this application.

• Dinesh NatesanDinesh Natesan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linux support please! Now that the sync feature is rolled out, it is time for the Linux users to be added onto the Readcube wagon!

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Native Linux support would be great! Without WINE of course.

• VicenteVicente commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried using wine 1.7 with the settings specified below, but ReadCube don't work....just keep saying "Preparing library" and don't start. Any ideas?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base