It would be cool if ReadCube could...

Generate, Format, and Manage Citations

Built-in citation management, bibliography generation, and integration with word processing.

1,827 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Lucas SchlagerLucas Schlager shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  ReadCube SupportReadCube Support responded  · 

With our latest update comes SmartCite, our citation tool available for free to all users. SmartCite allows users to use articles in their libraries to insert citations into manuscripts they might be writing and when finished, format a bibliography in more than 500 styles. If your style isn’t already available in our citation gadget, custom styles can also be easily added (see: http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/309547-how-do-i-add-a-citation-style-to-the-readcube-gadg). You can call up SmartCite by double tapping CTRL in Microsoft Word, a shortcut that can be customized in your preferences menu (see: http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/278217-citation-gadget-faq). If you see a citation style missing from our gadget that you think belongs in it by default, please let us know at support@readcube.com.

27 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • nalakagee@gmail.comnalakagee@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I update my article written with SmartCite, it adds an extra space either sides of the brackets. For example If i have already added the following to my text; X changes across multiple species (Dixon et al., 2015). Then I add more citations somewhere else in my text and update the bibliography. When I looked back (Dixon et al., 2015) it has added an extra space in between the close bracket and the fullstop like this. (Dixon et al., 2015) . This happens to all my citations messy. It happens not only with the fullstop but with all other punctuation marks and text either sides SmartCite written citations. Is there a solution for this trouble ?

• asraful alumasraful alum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can a user insert citation using ReadCube without downloading
    -the article
    -in case if it's not available in pubmed but available online
    - in case where full paper is not access able to the user but only the abstract
    -from the cross references
    -Can user import other citation files?
    thanks

• JovidJovid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having such a tool as SmartCite makes writing papers very easy and convenient, but it has some problems I guess. When I try to cite a paper having already some more papers cited in my document I get an "[ERROR]" instead of citation or a citation removes from previously cited references. I couldn't figure it out why. Now I want to export my references into EndNote and I can do it successfully, but when I open citations in the EndNote or cite them in my document I get first name first and citation comes like "(Author's first name, year)". How can I export my citations with last name first?

• Joakim PålssonJoakim Pålsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. I have used this function for a will now and like it in genera. Although there are some flows (expected as it is beta) so I will give what problems I have experience with it until now.

- It when insert a citation it takes a long will as it have to go throw all previously inserted citation and I always end up locking at the last page were the last citation are, even if I put in a citation on the first page.

- As it readcube go throw all of the previously citation (take a maybe 30-60 sec as I have quite a few) it also add a backspace after each citation, leaving a long empty spacey to the next word or “.”.

- It is a bit tricky to edit the citation in the text, I may have one reference and wont to add another article I will have to mark the exact name without parentheses and then tap ctrl twice, if wrongly marked it will try to add a new reference and not just edit the previously one.
    I am using Windows 8 and word 20103 all up to date.

• Diego GhezziDiego Ghezzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

nice work...it would also be great if it will works soon in pages (really important for me, and i think most of mac user)
    Diego

• Katherine GillKatherine Gill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to do a similar action, except I'd like to be able to sort and search through text I have highlighted in ReadCube papers so that I may easily navigate through hundreds of information for "that statement I remember" that I may otherwise not be able to find.

• Koki HagiwaraKoki Hagiwara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Readcube sports insertion of reference info into Pages (mac office software, like microsoft word), it is great!

• Kathryn RiceKathryn Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Endnote is a worthless program. It would be so great to have one program that does it all. Its all about efficiency anyway, right?

• David StatesDavid States commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maintaining a literature database in one tool while generating content in another is a MAJOR pain. Integrating links into word processors, i.e. the global standard MS Word, would be a major plus for ReadCube. Ideally, I would like to be able to see my own manuscripts, grants applications, etc. in ReadCube and to navigate in ReadCube through citations (Did the paper I am citing really say what I am citing it for? If not, let me use ReadCube to find the right citation and insert/replace it). I.e. I really need the full text search and viewing capabilities of ReadCube integrated with my document processor. I am willing to compromise on live/dynamic reindexing, but it would be nice to have ReadCube update the indexing/enhancement of my document when I save it from Word.

• Pieter SpealmanPieter Spealman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I whole heartedly agree with this as a necessitiy - a library manager without a reference manager is just not complete from the stand point of an academic.

• Tao YeTao Ye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It costs much labor and time to set up all the journal styles. Or they can make a tiny software to let users to transform Endnote/Mendeley styles into ReadCube sytles. I am not sure it is OK with Endnote/Mendeley's developer.

• Daniel GaffneyDaniel Gaffney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a stopgap before full citation support, you could allow to copy and paste citations in a format that's recognisable by e.g. Endnote. So - for example - if I select one or more articles and choose to "copy to endnote" then when I paste into a word processor / text editor, I get e.g. Endnote formatted list:

{Darwin, 1859#1;Einstein, 1905#2}

This list can be recognised and formatted correctly by Endnote

• kk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be awesome. I don't want to use another software to make citations in addition to readcube. I know mendeley has that future and it works pretty nice. You just in word and if you want to put citation, just click references and choose the paper, done. If readcube has it, it is going to be great.

• Aleksandr ChuklinAleksandr Chuklin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a feature in Mendeley allowing you to copy Latex / Word citation to clipboard using ⌘-K / ⌘-C. It would be nice to have similar feature in ReadCube

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base