Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add tags to multiple articles at once

It's great to be able to tag articles. But, having so many items in my library already, it's impractical to go through them one by one and add tags to them individually, so it's not all that useful a feature.

133 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Share pdf files/lists between users

This might be something like a virtual journal club where lab mates could drop particularly relevant articles into a shared folder, and perhaps even leave comments about them.

769 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have a "Unsorted" list

Assume you import a large amount of PDFs to your library (assume 100 PDFs). You try to categorize them in your separate lists. You do it for 50 PDFs and decide to do the rest after a while. The problem is when you are going to continue, you don't know which PDFs is already categorized since you see all of your pdfs in Library List!

178 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add/create tags and labels to organize my articles

I would like to be able to create tags and labels for PDFs. This would allow me to associate specific keywords (like "monkey" or "protein") and then search for those keywords when looking in my library. Articles that had been tagged with those keywords would then show up.

1,233 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    38 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re excited to announce that #tagging is now available as part of ReadCube PRO along with unlimited cloud sync and storage, advanced file management, watch folders and advanced article metrics.

If you’d like to restart your PRO trial – just follow the link and you’ll get 30 days to check out the new features: http://rdcu.be/eq4g

Check out how it works here:
    http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/742269

Let us know if you have any questions!

The ReadCube Team

5. be accessible online.

It would be great to access my ReadCube database in a web-browser. So if I am on a computer where ReadCube is not installed or that I share with other people (e.g. in a lab) I can still access, manage, read and edit my papers.

134 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Generate, Format, and Manage Citations

Built-in citation management, bibliography generation, and integration with word processing.

1,827 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  ReadCube SupportReadCube Support responded

With our latest update comes SmartCite, our citation tool available for free to all users. SmartCite allows users to use articles in their libraries to insert citations into manuscripts they might be writing and when finished, format a bibliography in more than 500 styles. If your style isn’t already available in our citation gadget, custom styles can also be easily added (see: http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/309547-how-do-i-add-a-citation-style-to-the-readcube-gadg). You can call up SmartCite by double tapping CTRL in Microsoft Word, a shortcut that can be customized in your preferences menu (see: http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/278217-citation-gadget-faq). If you see a citation style missing from our gadget that you think belongs in it by default, please let us know at support@readcube.com.

7. Allow users to create nested sublists

More like a folder tree than a tagging system because some users have distinct projects and subcategories within those projects.

1,398 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    44 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All,

In the Desktop, lists can by collapsed by double clicking the parent folder. You may need to restart your ReadCube app to have this new update take effect.

The next update in the mobile apps will have this feature available too.

The ReadCube Team

8. ReadCube should remember my place when I stop reading an article

For enhanced PDFs, switching between article and supplements always returns document to page 1. It would be much more fluid if ReadCube returned to the last page viewed in the document.

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Compile my notes

It would be great if ReadCube had a place where I could go to review the notes I have made on the paper I have read. A highlighted text section would also be useful. This would help to generate connections across papers.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Article Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. hide/fold the sublists

If the sublists could be folded, it is more esier to find the tartget list than before.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Manage my PDF files!

Like iTunes, copy, rename, and sort all existing and newly imported PDF files into a folder system.

This would include a file renaming scheme so that PDFs aren't all named "fulltext1.pdf"

2,025 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    42 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re excited to announce that advanced file management is now available as part of ReadCube PRO along with unlimited cloud sync and storage, #tagging, watch folders and advanced article metrics.

If you’d like to restart your PRO trial – just follow the link and you’ll get 30 days to check out the new features: http://rdcu.be/eq4g

Check out how it works here:
    http://support.readcube.com/knowledgebase/articles/742278

The ReadCube Team

12. Search more databases

Scopus, for example, or arxiv (physics and math)

688 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We at ReadCube have made negotiating more contracts and increasing our pool of accessible articles a priority for the past few months, and will continue to do so. Implementing more databases is a full-time effort for us, and we will continue to expand our available research literature as time goes on.

One major addition we’ve added is support for aggregators (i.e. Proquest, Ingenta, EBSCO). For users at institutions who use aggregators to purchase content, this should allow you to have more seamless access to articles through your library’s subscriptions.

Look forward to a plethora of new articles over the next few months!

13. Export to BibTeX

Allow to assign citation keys (preferably generated automatically using customizable string e.g. author name + year published + letter) and export bibliography in BibTeX format.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Lucas SchlagerLucas Schlager responded

Dear BibTeX fans,

Sorry for the emails, but I’m happy to say that as it turns out, we’ve pushed BibTeX support as of a couple hours ago! Simply quit and reopen ReadCube to automatically install the update.

Enjoy,

Lucas
    Community Manager

14. arrange the library with the same list of folder present in my computer

It would be cool if ReadCube could...arrange the library with the same list of folders (with the PDF inside of them) present in my computer even after the first importation

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Upon import – you can select the box to create lists based on your existing folders. Any folder you import will automatically appear as a list in the left hand menu. This is also the first box that appears when you open the settings via the gear icon in your desktop app.

We also have file management options available as a PRO feature – also available via your desktop setting panel.

Contact us at: support@readcube.com if you have any questions on how to set this up.

15. Sort by last author

It would be useful to be able to sort by last author. In my field (biology), the last author is almost always the PI, so sorting by last author would allow you to look at all main publications from a given lab.

I'm not sure why no reference manager offers this feature, it seems extremely simple to implement.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow me to send a link to PDF of an article to a friend

The recommendations found an article that I would like to send to a friend... it would be great if I could simply send him a link to it (pubmed or journal).

357 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Through our new “sharing” tab, we’ve created several options to share articles on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn. We hope this helps this share PDFs with colleagues, friends, & peers!

17. Option to remove menu bar icon

I like to keep my menu bar uncluttered. How about the option to remove the menu bar icon.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Conor MyhrvoldConor Myhrvold responded

Hi Ignacio, There’s an option in preferences to turn it off, and in our next version (which should be released this upcoming week) it’ll be removed entirely. ~ ReadCube Support

18. be available for Kindle (Amazon)

As a graduate student and loyal user of readcube I feel the need to have it available in my tablet system which is kindle. I am sure that as soon is available I will subscribe to Pro and pay a yearly rate just to be able to sync my libraries between my PC and tablet. It seems to me if it is in the android market it shouldn't be difficult to adapt it for kindle.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 103 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. bring the "mentions" functionality (presently available on the Internet) into the desktop application.

When I see Readcube articles in a web browser, the "mentions" count is visible. Clicking on the number of mentions brings up a display of the articles in which the targeted article is mentioned -- enabling me to read the text "mentioning" the targeted article. It would be great to have this in the desktop application.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base