Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cross-match lists of papers with other reference managers

Staging papers over and over again when trying a new reference manager is a real pain. It would be an advantage for ReadCube to allow its users to import the groups and lists they have already created to directly have their library organised.

1,285 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  41 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More robust note-taking functionality

Make notes hyperlinked, so that by clicking note in the sidebar would automatically show that part in the text. Also - notes should be sorted by date or placement in article (by default the latter). It would be nice that by pointing a highlighted part or note, the note would pop up.

587 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Article Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add offline mode

ReadCube needs an offline mode for when an internet connection is unavailable (it happens) or if a user just wants to use it offline. This is a vital feature for students and researchers alike.

313 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Include a built-in dictionary function

One function I am eager to use is "dictionary" support. It is very important for non-native English speaker like me. I usually use a software that has dictionary functions. in which I can use dictionary by simple double-clicking on the word I want to know the meaning.

592 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Put all graphs, tables and pictures of a PDF in the sidebar

It would be nice to have all graphs, figures, pictures, tables of the pdf you are reading by the sidebar, so whenever the text cites them you just click on them to expand. When you finish to see the figure you go back to the text. This way you avoid having to go back and forth all the time when reading a pdf.

882 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Modify inline references / citation to add or remove data

Include the ability to add or remove information from inline citations / references which are required in many citation styles eg Harvard such as;

- Add page numbers eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (Smith, 2010, p. 103)
    - Remove Author eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (2010)
    - Add text eg: (Smith, 2010) to (Fred, 2010 as cited in Smith, 2010)

These features are available in other reference managers such as; Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote.... Please don't force me to use one of these!!! Until this feature is working I cannot move to Readcube.

Scott

182 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  7 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Run desktop app without adobe air.

Desktop app should run without adobe air.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Improve native pdf viewer.

Often I will scroll across blank pages and it takes a long time to load the pdf pages. This is not an issue in any other pdf viewers.

606 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support Patents

Many patents are available as PDF with an accompanying reference file. It would be great if the PDF could be annotated with a reference file to avoid typing it manually.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 157 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have an email feature

Have an email feature to send PDFs in emails through outlook,gmail,yahoo,etc...

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 218 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Collect feedback for recommendations

There should be some sort of feedback mechanism for the recommendation portion, so that you can "like" or "dislike" articles depending on whether they fit in with what you would like to be recommended. I have a lot of files from different fields, so not all of them are things I'd like to be recommended.

148 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make the scroll bar slightly bigger and more visible

I often use the scroll bar to scan through or read a document and I find it hard to locate in readcube. It's very distracting to have to stop reading to get the mouse point exactly in the right position in order to do this.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base