Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. force attempt to automatically resolve article

Often an article does not automatically resolve when first imported. I find that if I click on the reference entry it will say "Attempting to automatically resolve this article..." and often it will resolve. It would be great to be able to select a group of articles and then "force" a re-attempt to resolve automatically.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. enable ReadCube's browser to be moved and/or minimized without closing

ReadCube's internal browser obscures most of the Readcube screen, and you cannot use the ReadCube library and browser at the same time (as soon as you click back on the library screen the browser closes). Allowing the library to be used without closing the browser woud be very useful.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Draw a graph of the library

Draw a graph (like a bubble graph° of articles already download, references, read/unread articles.
    That could allow to see where some group of article pointing or if there is isolated article.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. use 'Esc' key to close popups (e.g. Internet browser, settings window) instead of requiring mouse click on close button

use 'Esc' key to close popups (e.g. Internet browser, settings window) instead of requiring mouse click on close button

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Smartcite CTRL CTRL ans Cursor

When I double click CTRL the smartcite pop-up shows up, but when I type I'm still in the word document (I first have to click the search box to type start searching the article I need).
    It would be great if the cursor would be in the searc box after 2xCTRL.

Thanks

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Have a list (folder) that can shows only the files which don't belong to any list yet (Not all of the files).

Assume you import a large amount of PDFs to your library (assume 100 PDFs). You try to categorize them in your seperate lists. You do it for 50 PDFs and decide to do the rest after a while. The problem is when you are going to continue, you don't know which PDFs are already categorized since you see all of your pdfs in Library List !

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. provide an option : hide/fold the "comments pages"

It would be better for those who does not have a wide screen.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Cross-link references with user defined relationships

To quote another reference manager program:

"Weave your own web (of sorts)…

Like people, references can be related. Maybe the work at hand was reviewed in another. Maybe it rebuts an argument made in a prior publication. Perhaps it’s simply tripe, as was sadly pointed out in a critique.

Reference cross-links (links) allow you to enumerate and define these relationships. You can annotate links with your own comments, quotes from the works themselves, or any other information you find helpful.

Open the Link Inspector, drag and drop references of interest, assign relationships, and you’re linked and loaded." (from: http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookends/page16/page16.html)

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow me to view related articles directly from an open article

Right now it seems like I can only view "notes" and not any other information about a paper that is open and being viewed unless I go back and find it in a folder or library.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. add your own key words for searching later

I have several different projects, areas, ideas in my libraty, some overlap, many do not. It owuld be useful to be able to specify my own key words which may not appear in the articles.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Opening in Readcube and adding to library with double click or right-click menu

Open a pdf file in Readcube when double-clicking on it, and then decide to add it to the library or not. I have pdf files on my computer and I can't open them in Readcube before I add them to the library.

Dragging pdf to Readcube is not my first reaction, double-click is.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. relocate the entire library archives to a new final folder

It will be useful if first I drag my papers from very different folders, then click on library and relocate the entire library to a Final Folder with all my articles.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. auto-create lists based on keywords within articles

Articles now regularly include a list of keywords relevant to that article. It would be great to have lists automatically generated based on those keywords.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. add notes to unmatched articles

Currently it seems only possible to add notes to papers that have succefully been matched by readcube. However not all papers can be guaranteed to be matched. It would be nice to be able to add notes to those unmatched articles as well.
    (Clarifucation: I don't mean the cmments you leave on pages but rather the notes that make a yellow triangle on the right top corner of an library entry)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Leon,

As long as ReadCube is able to recognize where the text of an article is (aka as long as the PDF isn’t just a photocopy) you will be able to add notes, even if the article isn’t enhanced (see: http://i.imgur.com/Uxc8WZ7.png). If ReadCube can’t register where text lies, that’s when you will be unable to add notes (because you cannot highlight text). We will think about adding notes to specific locations, rather than on specific highlighted text sections, as a potential solution for this in the future.

Thanks for your idea!

Alex

17. enhance PDFs from Optics Info Base

Papers that are published on Optics Info Base (http://www.opticsinfobase.org) can not be enhanced with ReadCube, even though the website offers enhanced HTML and citations. It's a really important site for Optics with many journals and articles and it would be great if one could use the enhanced version of their pdfs.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. click to recommend articles to my readcube friends

not share PDFs but send and receive in "Recommendation" not only Readcube recommendations buy also my friend recommendations. Also another panel showing "The most reading" clould help as recommendations.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. have the option to turn off deletion confirmation, delete PDFs from computer, and have keyboard shortcuts for deletion.

I would like to delete files with keyboard commands and be able to select multiple PDFs to delete at once. Additionally, the option to remove the confirmation of deletion dialogue box would be great. And finally, the ability to delete the original PDF when deleting a ReadCube entry (this has already been suggested elsewhere).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)