Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. have the option to turn off deletion confirmation, delete PDFs from computer, and have keyboard shortcuts for deletion.

I would like to delete files with keyboard commands and be able to select multiple PDFs to delete at once. Additionally, the option to remove the confirmation of deletion dialogue box would be great. And finally, the ability to delete the original PDF when deleting a ReadCube entry (this has already been suggested elsewhere).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cross-link references with user defined relationships

To quote another reference manager program:

"Weave your own web (of sorts)…

Like people, references can be related. Maybe the work at hand was reviewed in another. Maybe it rebuts an argument made in a prior publication. Perhaps it’s simply tripe, as was sadly pointed out in a critique.

Reference cross-links (links) allow you to enumerate and define these relationships. You can annotate links with your own comments, quotes from the works themselves, or any other information you find helpful.

Open the Link Inspector, drag and drop references of interest, assign relationships, and you’re linked and loaded." (from: http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookends/page16/page16.html)

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. sync and index in background even when main window is closed

keep on indexing while running in background and also it would be better to minimize readcube to right side in taskbar as small icon instead of having as big tab on taskbar lingering when we are working on other important files. Just the way dropbox keep on working in background.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. preview an article without downloading it to the library

See the full text of an article without including it into the library (to check whether it is worthwhile including or not).

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Perform a smarter (and not heuristic) date sorting.

Date sorting of articles (currently only by year) appears to be heuristic (changes from one session to another) which is REALLY annoying.

Performing a smarter (based on DD/MM/YY of publication) sorting of articles would avoid this issue and help keeping a well organized library.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Export to Endnote from within PDF view

It would be helpful if there was a really easy way to be export to ENDNOTE while reading the paper in readcube, not just from the list view.

97 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show only new recommendations

Add an option to show only new added recommendation that were added since you last checked for recomeendations

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Store Favorite/Custom Searches

Search a pre-set list of journals (e.g. high-impact in medicine or chemical biology).

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change the page background color.

Reading on bright white is difficult and very harmful to eyes. As word and adobe can work, if i change the background to some light green, it fells softer to stare at the screen for quite a while.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi ReadCube users!

We understand that this is a really important feature for a lot of you, as white backgrounds do strain your eyes and are difficult to look at after long periods of time. This is definitely something we want to work on at some point and implement as an actual feature.

For now, I recommend giving http://justgetflux.com/ a shot, as it is designed to reduce eyestrain for your entire monitor and should function as an appropriate substitute for the time being.

Thanks so much for your patience and feedback!

Alex

10. not make me re-enter my name, billing address every time

What would be even better is if you could add to a cart like Science Direct (Elsevier) and not have to make each purchase individually. Very time consuming if you are getting 5-10 articles, and extremely aggravating if you are getting more. Can't believe Wiley finally updated their system after 5+ years, and it still can't do this. In fact now it's worse since it does not even save your name and address. (I am logged in, I checked.)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. display author and journal information in the "Open Articles" list.

If I'm doing a literature review, I often have 10-20 pdfs open at one time, and I tend to remember papers by first author rather than title. This means it gets difficult to remember which paper is which when you can only see title information in the open articles list. Could see author/year information also, so we can quickly identify and pull out a particular article from a long list?

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Have seperate libraries for distinct programs

I have a few very different projects, and do not want the libraries combined, i.e. lists do not work well for what I would like to do. It would be very helpful to be able have independent libraries.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. use 'Esc' key to close popups (e.g. Internet browser, settings window) instead of requiring mouse click on close button

use 'Esc' key to close popups (e.g. Internet browser, settings window) instead of requiring mouse click on close button

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. relocate the entire library archives to a new final folder

It will be useful if first I drag my papers from very different folders, then click on library and relocate the entire library to a Final Folder with all my articles.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allows to set my library proxy settings manually (not EZ-Proxy)...

My library uses manual proxy configuration (a proxy server IP adress and port). I can access the online libraries via my username and password. So, it world so helpful if ReadCube could allow to set manual proxy configuration.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Match a bunch of selected documents

Although, the documents that are imported into ReadCube are matched instantly but some times this feature fails for some reason. The recent future of matching the unmatched documents when the system idle is good. But, it would be really nice if you can match a bunch of selected documents instead of selecting a single document for matching.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. force attempt to automatically resolve article

Often an article does not automatically resolve when first imported. I find that if I click on the reference entry it will say "Attempting to automatically resolve this article..." and often it will resolve. It would be great to be able to select a group of articles and then "force" a re-attempt to resolve automatically.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Find PDF on deepdyve.com

For those without an academic affiliation, deepdyve is a reasonable alternative to access articles. Even with no membership you can preview 5 minutes for free.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. sort potentially matched articles by title, author, publication, or year

If an article cannot be automatically resolved by ReadCube, the program searches for the article by title, author, and other user-provided fields. It would be useful if the search results could be sorted by a selected field. Often I know the title of the article and could jump right to the correct entry without reading all of the entries.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. better deal with complex family names during Article Imports

When importing articles by authors with names like "J. van der Kamp" or "V. di Lollo", ReadCube currently often (but, curiously, not always) creates author names like "Van, J." or "Di, V."
    This makes is hard to subsequently search for articles written by these authors using the author search function in the library.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base