Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Detect and suggest pdf updates when available

Two situations where this feature would be useful:

1. Some publishers (Science mag, BMC) allow early online access to publications and provide a draft pdf version of the paper which lacks the regular format of the journal. Once the whole publication process has been completed, a new pdf is available with an improved and much more readable layout.

2. Editors may receive corrections of the original paper later after publication. This would appear online as an Erratum/Corrigendum, but it is often integrated into the pdf version.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. sort potentially matched articles by title, author, publication, or year

If an article cannot be automatically resolved by ReadCube, the program searches for the article by title, author, and other user-provided fields. It would be useful if the search results could be sorted by a selected field. Often I know the title of the article and could jump right to the correct entry without reading all of the entries.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. It would be cool if Readcube would allow PDF browsing. I mean, after a Pubmed search, sometimes I just want to look into the PDF and not nec

It would be cool if Readcube would allow PDF browsing: I mean, after a Pubmed search, sometimes I just want to look at the PDF and not necessarily download it into my collection on my computer. Right now, I have to download it, read it, and then delete it. Otherwise I have to go back to my web browser to do this.
    Thanks!

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. have an option to bold, italisize, or underline text in notes

You should be able to do basic modifications to your text, like ctrl+I to italisize ctrl+U to underline and ctrl+B to bold text in our notes

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. directly open an article instead of performing a search when clicking a reference if the target article is already in your library

Readcube always performs a search for an article when you click on a reference on the list on the right of the window. This search is also performed even if the article is already in your personal library and stored on your computer. You notice that when you try to download the article because readcube shows you an "view article" button rather than a download button.
    However it would be much smother if you could directly access the desired article just by clicking the reference link without performing the search first if the article is already in your library.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Insert small arrow that links to a comment, to make notes to specific parts of a figure

Sometimes (quite often) I need to make notes to a specific part of a figure, e.g. to compare two bars of the dataset, to clarify something.

If you could insert a small arrow, or figure of some sort, that is linked to your comment, it would be very helpful. Ideally, both small arrows and longer 'connecting' arrows/lines, since I also often draw lines between (or brackets around) the parts of a figure I am comparing in the note, as shown in attachment.

Thanks,
    W

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. (manage/edit) several pdf/files for the same article

So you can have noted versions, older versions, or be the one to choose which version should stay.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. support 360link endpoints instead of just SFX

Could readcube support 360link as well as SFX?

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. sync and index in background even when main window is closed

keep on indexing while running in background and also it would be better to minimize readcube to right side in taskbar as small icon instead of having as big tab on taskbar lingering when we are working on other important files. Just the way dropbox keep on working in background.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Search by year

It would be nice if I could filter my research by year for example. I'd like to select only the most updated or the oldest pubblications without going crazy by picking them up from the pile.

This would be sooooo helpful!

Thank you :)

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. do backward and forward citation maps of articles in your library

The ability to use the enhanced pdfs within your library to generate backward and forward citation map of that article in order to aid literature reviews

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allows to set my library proxy settings manually (not EZ-Proxy)...

My library uses manual proxy configuration (a proxy server IP adress and port). I can access the online libraries via my username and password. So, it world so helpful if ReadCube could allow to set manual proxy configuration.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Exclude a list from recomendations search.

I needed 50 papers for my oral qualification exam. These articles have NOTHING to do with my current research. They are easy to put into their own list, and it would be nice if I could exclude that list from the papers used to generate my "recomendations"

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. better deal with complex family names during Article Imports

When importing articles by authors with names like "J. van der Kamp" or "V. di Lollo", ReadCube currently often (but, curiously, not always) creates author names like "Van, J." or "Di, V."
    This makes is hard to subsequently search for articles written by these authors using the author search function in the library.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. integrate the MeSH function from NCBI in PubMed searches ("Restrict to MeSH Major Topic")

I use this to start ALL of my lit. reviews and can't do it in ReadCube but would love to.

The NCBI MeSH function integrates into PubMed searches but allows you to focus your search. Very powerful tool for a lit. review.
    Example, when you search "E. coli" in PubMed, you get 322,270 results that aren't focused on E. coli. When you "restrict to MeSH major topic" for an "E. coli" search in PubMed, you get 117,104 papers where the focus of the paper is actually E. coli, not just involves E. coli.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow more than one affiliation proxy to be entered and remembered

If you have two affiliations you might want to search in both databases...

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. allow users to attach supplemental files to a reference item

Part of my workflow includes saving marked up versions of documents as their own files, as well as typing up specially-formatted notes on my PDF documents in separate files. (I create these files and save them as PDFs. These are not the supplemental files provided by some publishers along with articles.)

It would be LOVELY if I could attach self-created supplemental files to a PDF item in my reference list.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. include a list of papers i have flagged for reading

Usually when reading a paper i come across papers that I want to look more into later, but i do not want to shift my focus from the paper at hand by finding and downloading the paper to the library. It could be cool if I from the reference list at the right side, could flag a reference for future follow up. The reference should then be added to a specific list on the left side (not downloaded yet). The entries on the list could include information on from what context I found the paper in the first place -…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)