Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. export comments in .doc

enable the export of the comments in word. For example if you review an article and annotate the text then it would be nice to merge directly all the comments into .doc file to upload for the editor and authors.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rename the articles in a predefined form which is decided by user

While downloading give an option to rename the file. Many literature database offer this feature. There are some standard formats: Different combinations of <Title><Journal><Author><Year><issue> etc. can be used to rename an article.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. directly open an article instead of performing a search when clicking a reference if the target article is already in your library

Readcube always performs a search for an article when you click on a reference on the list on the right of the window. This search is also performed even if the article is already in your personal library and stored on your computer. You notice that when you try to download the article because readcube shows you an "view article" button rather than a download button.
    However it would be much smother if you could directly access the desired article just by clicking the reference link without performing the search first if the article is already in your library.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. show your own manuscripts in Readcube

If you are working on a manuscript with colleagues or on your own (and all add their citations/references with Readcube), wouldn't it be great if you can read that manuscript in Readcube with all the advantages attached (easily checking references etc)?

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. integrate the MeSH function from NCBI in PubMed searches ("Restrict to MeSH Major Topic")

I use this to start ALL of my lit. reviews and can't do it in ReadCube but would love to.

The NCBI MeSH function integrates into PubMed searches but allows you to focus your search. Very powerful tool for a lit. review.
    Example, when you search "E. coli" in PubMed, you get 322,270 results that aren't focused on E. coli. When you "restrict to MeSH major topic" for an "E. coli" search in PubMed, you get 117,104 papers where the focus of the paper is actually E. coli, not just involves E. coli.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. support 360link endpoints instead of just SFX

Could readcube support 360link as well as SFX?

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. maximize to a new desktop with the Mac desktop client

At present, the Mac desktop client only lets one maximize to the extent of the current desktop. It would be great if ReadCube could maximize to a new desktop just like many other applications.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. customize the location of folder "data" that store the database

customize the location of folder "data" that store the database

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support math in comments in web version using mathjax

Now this is a neat hack for math support in readcube's web version - there's a thing called MathJax (http://www.mathjax.org/) that essentially can turn any plain-text written equation on any webpage into a LaTeX-style pro looking font typesetted math - just write your LaTeX or MathML code in ordinary text in tags like this $e^{i\pi}+1=0$ and upon site rendering it will be turned into HQ math typography. And oh my gawd it is soo useful if you're a physics/engineering/math type of a person. I mean, any webpage, webapp can now easily do math with this using simple javascript.…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow more than one affiliation proxy to be entered and remembered

If you have two affiliations you might want to search in both databases...

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Search by year

It would be nice if I could filter my research by year for example. I'd like to select only the most updated or the oldest pubblications without going crazy by picking them up from the pile.

This would be sooooo helpful!

Thank you :)

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. have the ability to make comments in mathematical notation

For people in technical fields making comments on papers often involves mathematical expressions. If readcube's comments could accomodate some kind of LATEX-style syntax that would produce mathematical notation, this would enhance readcube for users in many fields.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. allow you to resize the left sidebar.

First of all, as a recent discoverer of ReadCube, I just want to say that the program is great and I cannot understand how I ever survived without it! One small thing - it would be great to be able to make the left "search" sidebar wider or narrower so that I can see more of the text that describes opne articles, to make it easier to skip between them. Is there already a way of doing this? Thanks.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. allow Shibboleth login

Allow an oppourtunity to login via Shibboleth (or similar) to allow access to university papers whilst off campus. If you could login once Readcube was open then it could allow automatic downloads.
    Whilst you can do this through the Readcube browser which opens it is very laggy and time consuming.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. show the abstract of the articles on the right hand panel as I browse the list of "related articles"

abstracts preview on the right hand panel as i browse the list of related articles instead of having to dl the article first...thanks!

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. It would be cool if Readcube would allow PDF browsing. I mean, after a Pubmed search, sometimes I just want to look into the PDF and not nec

It would be cool if Readcube would allow PDF browsing: I mean, after a Pubmed search, sometimes I just want to look at the PDF and not necessarily download it into my collection on my computer. Right now, I have to download it, read it, and then delete it. Otherwise I have to go back to my web browser to do this.
    Thanks!

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)