Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Recieve weekly PubMed search outcomes

I recieve weekly e-mail from pubmed containing the results of preset searches (all based on keywords). It would be cool if one could do similar Pubmed searches directly in Readcube.

162 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. allow users to attach supplemental files to a reference item

Part of my workflow includes saving marked up versions of documents as their own files, as well as typing up specially-formatted notes on my PDF documents in separate files. (I create these files and save them as PDFs. These are not the supplemental files provided by some publishers along with articles.)

It would be LOVELY if I could attach self-created supplemental files to a PDF item in my reference list.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. have searchable sidebar notes

Allow the option of searching within the side bar notes.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. correctly export bibtex files when searched with google scholar

bibtex export works fine for publications imported by pubmed search.
    when imported by google scholar search, the author field contains a number of 'null's. probably simple bug fix.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Work without the user needing administrator rights on their computer

My university imposes many restrictions on the use of our work computers, meaning that I do not have admin rights. Those seem however to be needed for the operation of the software. Indeed, our technician says that Readcube needs access to the registry, which is not allowed to the standard user. It is therefore not possible for me to use Readcube at work.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. allow specific timeframes for recommendations

When offering recommendations, allow the user to choose a year or years to pull recommendations from. The difference between last year an anytime is too great.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allowed re-ordering of list

I have around 20 lists and it could be great to be able to reorder them alphabetically or whatever I like. It looks like I can't change the order and last created list is at the bottom even if it would be easier to be close to another list.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. bring back the ability to switch between PubMed and Google Scholar in the same search

This went away in the latest update. It was quite useful, because if searching for full article title, it often varies whether PubMed or Google Scholar will find the correct article as the top hit.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Match with citations on Google Scholar

Match with Google Scholar citations via readcube would be very useful. These currently do not get matched.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. give me a way to highlight recommendations as unsuitable

I am getting recommendations related to fields other than my own. It would be useful to be able to mark these recommendations as unsuitable so that they do not keep coming!

152 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a really great ideal! Thanks for the feedback! Would you also be interested in a feature like “Do not show articles like these again.” that would hopefully stop showing you articles of a certain type?

12. View annotations in article preview

Annotations (highlights, notes, etc) should show in the preview pane on the right when you select an aricle from your library.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. include a list of papers i have flagged for reading

Usually when reading a paper i come across papers that I want to look more into later, but i do not want to shift my focus from the paper at hand by finding and downloading the paper to the library. It could be cool if I from the reference list at the right side, could flag a reference for future follow up. The reference should then be added to a specific list on the left side (not downloaded yet). The entries on the list could include information on from what context I found the paper in the first place -…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. delete multiple lists

It would be useful to be able to multi-select and delete lists; would be even better if I could do it using ctrl(or cmd)+delete!

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide a way to update the paper with new pdf and final volume and page numbers

If a paper is added as it is published online ahead of print publication, then often the final manuscript or the uncorrected proof is included as the pdf file. It would be useful if there is a way to automatically update the paper with the final published pdf and volume/page numbers when this information become available.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. enable author lists, so we can favorite authors and be notified when new articles by those authors are published

Just like google scholar does author alerts and citation alerts, such a feature would be great in readcube if I could favorite some authors and then whenever they are cited, or they publish some new work, readcube would send me an alert or give me an option to automatically add it to a particular list.

111 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. do backward and forward citation maps of articles in your library

The ability to use the enhanced pdfs within your library to generate backward and forward citation map of that article in order to aid literature reviews

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Let me view a PDF without adding it to the library

I often want to read the PDF of a paper before deciding whether or not to download it. I would love an option to view (ie. cache) the PDF without downloading it. Then if I decide I want to keep it, I can click a button to add it to my library.

115 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. allow copy and paste with correct formatting

I currently use Readcube and one thing that has been a small frustration is that I like to make notes separately (in google docs) but when I copy and paste information the formatting is off. Specifically, there are too many spaces between words so I have to manually delete them. Also, symbols, subscripts, superscripts don't paste correctly either. Not a huge deal but I noticed I don't have this problem in Mendeley and it just makes it less annoying.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Insert small arrow that links to a comment, to make notes to specific parts of a figure

Sometimes (quite often) I need to make notes to a specific part of a figure, e.g. to compare two bars of the dataset, to clarify something.

If you could insert a small arrow, or figure of some sort, that is linked to your comment, it would be very helpful. Ideally, both small arrows and longer 'connecting' arrows/lines, since I also often draw lines between (or brackets around) the parts of a figure I am comparing in the note, as shown in attachment.

Thanks,
    W

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base