Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. allow copy and paste with correct formatting

I currently use Readcube and one thing that has been a small frustration is that I like to make notes separately (in google docs) but when I copy and paste information the formatting is off. Specifically, there are too many spaces between words so I have to manually delete them. Also, symbols, subscripts, superscripts don't paste correctly either. Not a huge deal but I noticed I don't have this problem in Mendeley and it just makes it less annoying.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide a way to update the paper with new pdf and final volume and page numbers

If a paper is added as it is published online ahead of print publication, then often the final manuscript or the uncorrected proof is included as the pdf file. It would be useful if there is a way to automatically update the paper with the final published pdf and volume/page numbers when this information become available.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. sort potentially matched articles by title, author, publication, or year

If an article cannot be automatically resolved by ReadCube, the program searches for the article by title, author, and other user-provided fields. It would be useful if the search results could be sorted by a selected field. Often I know the title of the article and could jump right to the correct entry without reading all of the entries.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. have a "two-page" view option, as many modern screens are quite wide and could accommodate this

have a "two-page" view option, as many modern screens are quite wide and could accommodate this, and it would be much better for reading papers directly on the monitor

310 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support SmartCite in google docs

I do a lot of collaborative writing and we frequently use google docs. There is currently no good way to input the citations from readcube into google docs. It would be amazing if SmartCite working in the google docs application.

298 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. add in pdf bookmarks

I commonly use Adobe Acrobat's bookmark feature to save location points in pdf documents, such as introduction, method, study 1, study 2 so i can quickly navigate the document.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. have a native 64-bit support to make full use of 4GB of RAM available in most laptops.

Most folks here are using laptops with at least 4GB of RAM available to them. Hope to see readcube comes up with a 64-bit version of the software to make full use of the hardware powers.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. show the lists (labels) where an article belongs to.

When showing the paper information, it would be useful to see if it has been assigned to a list.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. provide an interface for evernote and/or MarginNote.

Read cube is great for organizing articles. Eververnote is great for organizing multiple notes, links, thought, etc. and MarginNote is great for cross references and lateral thinking.
    Providing an interface that allows to open pfds in MarginNote or to save notes/highlighted parts/ screenshots to evernote, would greatly enhance productivity and combine the best of all.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Export comments to Evernote

It would be great if it was possible to export the notes and highlights to Evernote. The title of the note should be the reference and they can be stored in a Readcube notebook.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow users to increase font size of abstract in right hand panel

The abstract would be easier and quicker to read if the font size was a bit larger. Nice would be a control-up/down short cut. Esp. more senior people would probably apreciate this.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Please add dictionary to the readcube

The new update in readcube is amazing (sync feature). It would be helpful if readcube embeds a scientific dictionary in their software. It makes reading more fun.

Thanks,
    Venkata

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Have seperate libraries for distinct programs

I have a few very different projects, and do not want the libraries combined, i.e. lists do not work well for what I would like to do. It would be very helpful to be able have independent libraries.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. link in the Zotero quick-add button when viewing the "Article page"

When you open the "Article page", it would by handy if you could see the same quick-add button that you'd see in another browser with the Zotero add-on.

Currently, I have to copy the article title, open Chrome/browser, search for the article again, and then click the Zotero quick-add button.

With this improvement, you eliminate all but one step, making it a one-step add for in-text citations with Word/document editor!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. preview pdf when searching my library

Similar to apple's finder, it would be nice to preview the pdf's when searching my library.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ask to download articles via cloud during sync

Right now, the sync feature only downloads metadata but not the entire pdf files. Each article has to be downloaded separately. It would be cool if we could choose articles or lists or the entire library that we want to download automatically during sync.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Prevent articles from being accidentally added twice, warn you if it is happening, or find a way to quickly resolve that issue.

When you add an article, sometimes it can get accidentally added twice. Then you might have it in the library twice, with different versions, different annotations, and in different folders (potentially)

403 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. enable author lists, so we can favorite authors and be notified when new articles by those authors are published

Just like google scholar does author alerts and citation alerts, such a feature would be great in readcube if I could favorite some authors and then whenever they are cited, or they publish some new work, readcube would send me an alert or give me an option to automatically add it to a particular list.

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Show What Lists a Paper Was Added To In Its My Library Description

Currently I do not see a way to find out what lists a Paper has already been posted to in ReadCube other than to click on the list and look to see what papers are there.

What I think would be helpful is to show the lists under the title in the My Library's pane. This would be something akin to how GMail shows you the Labels that you have assigned an email to.

I am thinking that this information must already be in your database, and you would only need to write it to the display.

Anything that isn't…

117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. give me a way to highlight recommendations as unsuitable

I am getting recommendations related to fields other than my own. It would be useful to be able to mark these recommendations as unsuitable so that they do not keep coming!

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a really great ideal! Thanks for the feedback! Would you also be interested in a feature like “Do not show articles like these again.” that would hopefully stop showing you articles of a certain type?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base