Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include drawing tools for annotations

If I could draw lines, circles, squares and so on in the paper to mark the important region of the figures or sentences, it would be very useful.

1,114 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned (long-term)  ·  19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. integrate eTOCs or RSS feeds

I'd love it if ReadCube could list newly released eTOC's for me, or provide a way that I could link from an eTOC directly into a ReadCube download. eTOCs (or journal online TOCs) are how I browse new literature, and it'd be really helpful it that were integrated.

525 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support the import and export of externally annotated PDF-files.

Currently, when importing PDFs into Readcube, external annotations are not maintained (highlights, notes, etc.). Conversely, when viewing a Readcube PDF in an external PDF viewer, the annotations are not exported. This prevents you from using Readcube if you have already got a large library with annotated files.

465 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support high DPI monitors (correctly scale when using DPI scaling on Win 7 and Win 8)

On very high resolution / retina monitors, Readcube currently does not scale properly with the DPI scaling of the OS (Readcube either ignores the DPI scaling and stays impossibly small to use, or scales as a blurred inflated bitmap image).
    Properly supporting DPI scaling in Win 7 and Win 8 for high DPI monitors will improve usability and reading experience.

277 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. List Management - I would like to reorder the list and create nested lists.

I would like to be able to reorder the lists of articles as well as created nested listed or a hierarchical list structure.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve scrolling keystrokes

Currently, I see 3 main methods of scrolling.
    1) Use the tiny scroll bar on the side.
    2) Use the down arrow to very slowly move up or down
    3) Use Fn+up/down arrow to move exactly one page down
    Also, I believe some touchpad smart gestures are included now, although I'm not familiar with them since I don't have a touchpad.

I find the first two options impractical when I just want to scroll a page or two down. The third option (Fn+up/down arrow) is close, but the problem is that it scrolls EXACTLY one page down. That means if…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Develop ReadCube Chrome-App (or at least improve embedded browser)

I find that the embedded browser is sort of horrible. There are times when ReadCube calls the browser - for instance, when you must submit your institution login and password. The page that displays is slow and sluggish. Sometimes it is necessary to click a text box multiple times before the box takes focus. I've navigated to some addresses within this embedded browser and noticed that some hyperlinks would not be available to click. I can understand the need for secure credential submission, and so perhaps the need for an embedded browser, but this implementation is dreadfully inefficient.

Wherever possible,…

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Start with unidentified PDF files, then allow me to specify the details for those not found by search

One posted solution states that users can add books and other items not found through searches, but in that case, there is no link to a PDF. ReadCube currently does not allow one to start with an unidentified PDF and specify its information. This is needed for PDF documents owned by users that are either (1) not journal articles (e.g., books, technical reports, white papers, etc.) or (2) journal articles that cannot be found in PubMed or Google Scholar. Without this functionality, all PDFs on a user's computer that are not identifiable by ReadCube are disconnected from the library.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned (long-term)  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base