Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide the option to #Tag in ReadCube Web Importer

While adding citations directly from pubmed, or google scholar using readcube web importer, give an option to add article or citation specific #tags, if not notes...

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Run desktop app without adobe air.

Desktop app should run without adobe air.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Give "Chapters" as reference type in edit reference window along with Book and Book Section

While editing or downloading references, it would be easier if readcube app recognizes chapters separately from Books or book sections. Also gives references in following fomat

1. Hanski, I. (1991a). The dung insect community. In Hanski, I. & Cambefort, Y. (1991). Dung beetle ecology.

or

2. Hanski, I. "The dung insect community.[pp. 5-21]." Dung Beetle Ecology (I. Hanski and Y Cambefort, editors). Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey 463 (1991).

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Sort my PDFs by which ones have complete metadata (complete based on my needs)

I have lots of PDFs in my library that do not have all of the metadata that they need to have to create complete citations. It would be great if ReadCube had a spot that I could specify what metadata I need in a citation to consider that metadata to be complete (e.g. authors, full journal title, article title, journal issue, journal pages). Then ReadCube should be able to sort my PDFs by ones with complete metadata and ones without complete metadata.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Article Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Preview of figures and tables

As well as references, it would be a good improvement that clicking hover the "Figure X" you could see a preview of the image. Thanks.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Import an article with a doi.

Hope readcube can import an article with only a doi.(Just like endnote can do)

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. show dates when matching articles

When trying to match pdfs to meta-data, i get a list with the beginning of the name, but the rest gets cut off. Not matter how far I extend the window, some text remains invisible and I rarely get the date. Please reconfigure so that the entire title shows no matter how skinny the sidebar!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Article Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add tags to multiple articles at once

It's great to be able to tag articles. But, having so many items in my library already, it's impractical to go through them one by one and add tags to them individually, so it's not all that useful a feature.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. tags on web

I can't view my tags on the web app. It would be nice to be able to do that.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Let me choose what to export to BibTeX

It would be great if the user could choose which information to export as BibTeX. I recently found myself wanting to export a few articles to bibtex for a paper written in latex and found out that the URLs are not exported. I tried to find a feature like this, however, currently there is no way of choosing which fields are to be exported apart from the default ones. Therefore, I had to manually enter it on the text file one by one... This should be a rather easy feature which I would appreciate A LOT!!! Also, somehow the books…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. figure hyperlinks

It would be great if in-text figure references linked to the figures they reference, and if clicking on a figure brought you to the first mention of it in the article.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Highlight in the colors that it has in its logo!

Four colors are not bad at the moment, but I think all of the colors that are in the readcube logo should be available to color. I personally feel the most need to have red.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. allow #tagging of multiple articles at the same time

For example, with control- or shift-click, select multiple articles, then type a #tag that applies to all articles selected.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Share reference/link/pdf via email

It is possible to share now via google, linkedin, Facebook and twitter, but for me this is useless to share with my work colleagues so there should be an option to share a reference, link to reference and even the pdf via email

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have more display customization

I used to be a fan of a pdf organizer app called FingerPDF, because it facilitated many aspects of high-troughput document reading. It created a database, just like ReadCube does, but it automatically synchronized any file that was added to the selected folder or any subfolders.

Furthermore, the column right next to the folders column displayed the thumbnails of the first page of the pdf, which helped a lot to identify the documents. In that colum, we could perform searches regarding olny the documents contained in that subfolder, and the results would indicate how many occurences of the searched word…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Run on all versions of *NIX (BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc), not just OS/X.

It appears that you foolishly have made ReadCube O/S based instead of making it browser based written in Java and/or JavaScript (ECMA Script)

So, if you are going to make it OS based, you need to make the UNIX based version run on Desktops other than the Mac OS: Aqua/Carbon. Or, perhaps you don't use the Desktop and it is only a matter of having it run on Firefox and Google-Chrome -- although it would be nice it it ran on any browser that met W3 & ECMA standards running on any flavor of UNIX. But, Firefox and Chrome are…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. support writing software other than Word.

There are many requests for "support smart cite in [my favorite word processor]". Other packages solved this by allowing you to drag and drop a citation from the app into any text document, where it appears as {citation}. Then the app can read those (typically exported from whatever text editor in RTF format) and generate a formatted bibliography.

As an example, you can google the blog post showing how Ulysses and Papers work together to do this.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. import articles directly into readcube from an email

I receive a weekly email digest of relevant articles in my field. Each article opens a web page where eventually I can download the article. I would like to be able to somehow open the email inside readcube and by clicking on the links ultimately get to the articles and download them in.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base