Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make a fully functional ReadCube Windows 10 app

With Windows 10 it's possible to make one app for all Windows devices (phones, tablets, hybrids, laptops, pc's... even Xbox) with a scalable UI. ReadCube from phone to TV!
    It would be great to have full touch and pen support for devices like a Surface, or any other Windows tablet with pen. That way PDF's can be annotated in any possible way, just like paper.
    It's now even possible for developers to easily port the Android/iOS app. ;)
    (http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-going-all-out-courting-ios-android-developers)

887 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add offline mode

ReadCube needs an offline mode for when an internet connection is unavailable (it happens) or if a user just wants to use it offline. This is a vital feature for students and researchers alike.

316 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 167 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change highlight colors without deleting them first

Sometimes I highlight a part with yellow, and later find it more important, and recolor it with red. In such cases, I wish I can change the color without deleting the highlight first, as I can with any major PDF viewers including Preview or Acrobat.

162 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. enable author lists, so we can favorite authors and be notified when new articles by those authors are published

Just like google scholar does author alerts and citation alerts, such a feature would be great in readcube if I could favorite some authors and then whenever they are cited, or they publish some new work, readcube would send me an alert or give me an option to automatically add it to a particular list.

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Have an email feature

Have an email feature to send PDFs in emails through outlook,gmail,yahoo,etc...

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Run desktop app without adobe air.

Desktop app should run without adobe air.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add tag when dragging/dropping articles on tag list of your choice

It will be convenient if tag will be automatically added to an article when you drag/drop an article to the specific tag on the list.

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Import an article with a doi.

Hope readcube can import an article with only a doi.(Just like endnote can do)

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ask to download articles via cloud during sync

Right now, the sync feature only downloads metadata but not the entire pdf files. Each article has to be downloaded separately. It would be cool if we could choose articles or lists or the entire library that we want to download automatically during sync.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. support handwriting capability

The readers can sketch their thoughts, add annotations and make notes freely with their styluses, similar to apps such as Drawboard in Windows and Notability in iOS.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. auto-complete the hashtags

I would be cool if readcube can auto-complete the hashtags when I'm entering it, to make the process easier and avoid creating similar tags that means the same thing.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. allow me to select text that runs over two pages in one pass - not in two steps.

Using my mac, if there is text that runs over two pages that I want to select and copy, I have to do this in two steps, - selecting the text on each page separately.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Give "Chapters" as reference type in edit reference window along with Book and Book Section

While editing or downloading references, it would be easier if readcube app recognizes chapters separately from Books or book sections. Also gives references in following fomat

1. Hanski, I. (1991a). The dung insect community. In Hanski, I. & Cambefort, Y. (1991). Dung beetle ecology.

or

2. Hanski, I. "The dung insect community.[pp. 5-21]." Dung Beetle Ecology (I. Hanski and Y Cambefort, editors). Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey 463 (1991).

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add a category in the left column to organize reading history

I hope a category could be added in the left column to organize reading history. It's aesthetically unpleasing to see a long list of papers that you have read at the bottom of the left column. For me, it would be great if all my reading history could be organized under a category named "History" or "Reading History" or something alike.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. send pdfs via email (not social media)

Sending articles via social media is not always a great solution. It would be great if you could simply email the article without friending the person on facebook.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Desktop/Mobile Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Let me choose what to export to BibTeX

It would be great if the user could choose which information to export as BibTeX. I recently found myself wanting to export a few articles to bibtex for a paper written in latex and found out that the URLs are not exported. I tried to find a feature like this, however, currently there is no way of choosing which fields are to be exported apart from the default ones. Therefore, I had to manually enter it on the text file one by one... This should be a rather easy feature which I would appreciate A LOT!!! Also, somehow the books…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Option to show more article metadata in the list view

The current list looks good, but is lacking a lot when it comes to personal metadata. As it is now, I have to select every individual article to see my own notes or tags. So I can't quickly skim through the list and find what I need, and have to seach for it, and when your library becomes bigger and bigger, it becomes more difficult to remember excatly what you might have noted down.
    This is also especially apparent with large sized monitors, as there is currently a huge waste of horisontal space.

I propose an alternate list view with…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. paper rating

Would love to have a way to rate the paper, like in iTunes you can rate songs that you like. For example 5 stars total, you can rate how good this paper. This way it is easier to know later which paper is important when you have a large library. Would be even better if have more ways to rate the paper. For example, having different color tags etc.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. filter the articles by years

Sometimes I need to search the articles between particular years for instance 2010 - 2015 but there is no such a selection on search part. This is much better to find the articles by years instead of scrolling down.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base