Feature Requests

Have a great idea for a new feature we should include in the next version of ReadCube? Let us know here, on our Feature Request public forum.

If you see your idea listed here already, be sure to check the comments—we may have posted information or an update about the feature you desire!

It would be cool if ReadCube could...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support SmartCite in google docs

I do a lot of collaborative writing and we frequently use google docs. There is currently no good way to input the citations from readcube into google docs. It would be amazing if SmartCite working in the google docs application.

280 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modify inline references / citation to add or remove data

Include the ability to add or remove information from inline citations / references which are required in many citation styles eg Harvard such as;

- Add page numbers eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (Smith, 2010, p. 103)
    - Remove Author eg: from (Smith, 2010) to (2010)
    - Add text eg: (Smith, 2010) to (Fred, 2010 as cited in Smith, 2010)

These features are available in other reference managers such as; Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote.... Please don't force me to use one of these!!! Until this feature is working I cannot move to Readcube.

Scott

186 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  7 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow SmartCite to look up lists in ReadCube library

It will be great if I can look up the "lists/nested lists in the ReadCube library" when citing papers, so that I can easily find papers of interest.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. support writing software other than Word.

There are many requests for "support smart cite in [my favorite word processor]". Other packages solved this by allowing you to drag and drop a citation from the app into any text document, where it appears as {citation}. Then the app can read those (typically exported from whatever text editor in RTF format) and generate a formatted bibliography.

As an example, you can google the blog post showing how Ulysses and Papers work together to do this.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. recognize citations/references in a word document.

Citations/references from other programs (e.g. mendeley) in a word document (*.docx) are not recognized by SmartCite and thus not editable/importable with readcube.

Therefore, I need to keep mendeley to change/update my old manuscripts, unless I don't reinsert all citations manually with smartcity.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  SmartCite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. hyperlink to cite specific highlighted sections/comments in a word document/googledoc

Hyperlinks to specific highlighted sections in googledoc/word document that take reader to the location of a fact or statistic in the cited document

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. improve citation style for sources with no author (e.g., treaties, statutes)

Currently all references must have an author. However, treaties, statutes and other government docs are usually just cited by name or federal register location. EndNote is somewhat better at this. (I know SmartCite is still developing!)

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support SmartCite in Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote is often used as a lab notebook, it would be great if it was possible to cite the text within this software. Actually enabling citations in all of the Microsoft Office suite would be very useful.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Detect articles inside nested folders within parent 'watch folders'

A great Readcube Pro function is the 'Watch Folder' option. It would also be useful if Readcube imported articles from within 'nested' folders placed inside of the parent 'watch folder'.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make the SmartCite window flexible in size.

It will give us more flexibility in utilizing the SmartCite if you could make the SmartCite window flexible in size, add full windon size button and collapse a window button.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Have a "check all" button in SmartCite

For example, I created a list of articles for a bibliography. I can search for that list in SmartCite, but then I need to click each article one by one. Would be so much easier to have a "check all" button at the top.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Adding Citation for web page and Computer programs

I would like to point out that in some cases web pages and computer programs don't have authors.

However, in order to add citation author name is mandatory.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. allow to expand/resize the SmartCite window

It will be great if the size of the SmartCite window can be freely changeable to enhance the easy of browsing the list of articles.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Read or Realize Chinese Words, because Chinese Universities would be a great market to promote this app, I firmly believe that!

Yeah sometimes I have to learn Chinese Article and I can read and I believe so many researchers would learn, besides my frds from China also asked me about this app or software and they felt good to read all the pdfs on it, but sadly I couldn't read Chinese words from this...

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. create a Constitutional provision/section reference type .

A statute reference type exists but the fields are not applicable to Constitutional sections.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. remove hyphens and other non-letter characters from searches for meta-data.

I often find that the only thing that seemingly throws off the search for the correct paper, is that there is a hyphen or odd character, or sometimes multiple spaces between words. When I delete these, the search instantly finds it. If the search would disregard these characters (with option to include given I guess) then this would improve a lot of my searches when I have to help readcube identify papers.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base